These Kentucky Bourbon Chicken Wings might be the best chicken wings you ever make. Topped with an amazing homemade BBQ sauce, these wings are absolutely incredible. When you are craving wings, you have to try this recipe!
Kentucky Bourbon Chicken Wings
When it comes to wings, they need to fantastic. These wings are seasoned with a homemade dry rub and grilled to perfection. Topped with this Kentucky Bourbon BBQ sauce and you have show stopping wings ever time.
- Fresh chicken wings – You want 4 lbs which comes out to about 14-16 wings.
- Dry rub for Chicken– This is a homemade dry rub for chicken. The ingredients are listed below
- Bourbon Barbecue Sauce – This is the same sauce I use for my Kentucky BBQ Steak Skewers (link to the skewers when it is live. )
What Ingredients are in the Dry Chicken Rub
I love making dry rubs from scratch when I make my chicken. I use a combination of brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, basil, and celery salt. The exact amounts to make a large batch is included in the recipe card. Store the leftovers of the dry rub in an airtight container.
How to make Bourbon Chicken Wings
Combine the ingredients for the dry chicken rub and then pour the rub over the chicken wings.
Make sure the wings are covered well and place them in a plastic bag or an airtight container and let them sit in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
Make the Kentucky Bourbon Sauce.
Heat the grill to medium heat and then cook the wings for 8-10 minutes per side with the grill lid closed.
Add one cup of the BBQ sauce and then cook for another 1-2 minutes on each side.
Do I have to use Kentucky Bourbon?
I love the flavor of Kentucky Bourbon and it works fantastic with this sauce. If you have another favorite you can use that instead. You will make the sauce the same no matter what kind of bourbon you use.
Should I Bake Grill or Fry Wings?
For this recipe, I am grilling the wings. It gives a delicious flavor to the wings. If you want to make these wings in a fryer, you will do everything the same way. Once you have added the BBQ sauce to the wings, you will want to broil them to caramelize the sauce.
Amazing Side Dish Recipes to Serve with These Wings
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Easy Marinated Tomatoes
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Mexican Cornbread Recipe (5-minute prep)
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
Kentucky Bourbon Chicken Wings
Ingredients to make kentucky bourbon chicken wings
- 4 lbs fresh chicken wings approximately 14–16 wings
- 1/3 cup dry rub for Chicken see below
- 1 cup Bourbon Barbecue Sauce see below
Dry Rub ingredients
Directions to create kentucky bourbon chicken wings:
- Place wing pieces into a large bowl.
- Combine all ingredients for the dry rub in a medium bowl.
- Stir to combine
- Store in an airtight container
- Pour the Spice Rub over the chicken wings.
- Toss to coat and place the chicken wings into a gallon zip lock bag.
- Place in your refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Prepare your Kentucky Bourbon Barbecue Sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the bourbon to a boil.
- Simmer for five to ten minutes.
- Add the water and all of the other ingredients, stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until you reach a thick and smooth consistency.
- Turn off your heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Heat your grill to medium high heat.
- Place the chicken wings in a single layer over the heat.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes per side with the grill lid closed.
- Once fully cooked, remove wings from the grill and place in a large bowl.
- Add one cup of Bourbon Barbecue Sauce to the cooked wings and toss to coat.
- Place the wings back on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.