These Caramel Apple Empanadas are quick and easy to make using the Air Fryer. Flaky pie crusts filled with apple filling, caramels and a cinnamon sugar coating.
Air Fryer Apple Caramel Empanadas
If you love Taco Bell, then you know how upsetting it can be when they discontinue an item that everyone still very much enjoys. So, I took matters into my own hands and decided to make my own version of their dessert. I make them all by hand with just a few ingredients and bake them in the air fryer coated in butter and cinnamon until they are crispy golden brown. I love serving these with some homemade ice cream!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Pie Crust: You will need 4 refrigerated pie crusts for this recipe. You can make your own homemade pie crust recipe, but it will be quicker to use store-bought.
Apple Pie Filling: I use canned filling, but you can make your own homemade apple pie filling recipe.
Caramels: I use Kraft brand pieces for this recipe. I also like to use my own homemade caramel, but this is only when I have a bit more time on my hands.
Butter: This is brushed on top of the pie crust, then sprinkles with cinnamon and sugar.
How To Make Caramel Apple Empanadas
Step 1. Add the apple pie filling and caramels into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Combine the ingredients until melted, then take off the heat and place it aside. Roll out each pie crust and cut out 5 circles per pie crust using a large coffee mug. You will have a total of 20 circles. Begin filling the center of each circle with one Tbsp of filling. Fold over each circle and pinch the edges using a fork.
Step 2. Use a pastry brush to brush each empanada with melted butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each filled pie. Bake in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 330 degrees. It is best to work in batches. Continue until all the pies are made, then serve! Enjoy.
Variations For Caramel Apple Empanadas
You can make these desserts in any way you want! So, use some of the suggestions below to alter the recipe to your liking.
- Use any candy-filling combo your heart desires. Chocolate and strawberries or cherries, caramel and chocolate, chocolate and marshmallows, etc. You can make these with just filling if you want to!
- I love adding cinnamon on top, but you can also use all spices or any type of pie spice.
Tips & Tricks
- If you don’t have an air fryer, place in the oven for 12-15 minutes at 350 or until lightly browned.
- DO NOT use a liquid caramel or it will make the filling loose and more prone to leaks.
- These can be deep fried in oil as well.
- Make sure to check that your empanadas aren’t burning. Every air fryer is different and the temp and time may vary.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 days.
More Caramel Apple Recipes:
Caramel Apple Empanadas
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add your apple pie filling and caramels. Stir together until the caramels are all melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unroll each pie crust and using a large coffee mug cut out 5 circles per pie crust so you end up with 20 circles of dough. Place about a tablespoon of the filling into the middle of each dough round. Carefully fold over the circle and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Melt the butter and brush onto each empanada. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkles over each empanada. Working in batches place your empanadas in the air fryer and air fry at 330 for 10 minutes. Air fryers differ greatly so just check your empanadas to make sure they are not burning. Repeat with the other batches. Serve!