Cookies will always be a go-to dessert in my household. You can never go wrong with a cookie. This amazing Chocolate Snickerdoodles recipe is one of my favorites. It is the perfect twist on a classic snickerdoodle, with all the same flavors and chocolate too.
Snickerdoodles are a classic Christmas cookie. These cookies bring together all that fantastic flavor and combines it together with the chocolate for an amazing cookie. These cookies are dense and chewy while being soft and delicious. You can make these chocolate snickerdoodles cookies as part of a Christmas cookie tray along with Soft Christmas Sprinkle Cookies and Christmas Hot Cocoa Cookies.
- Butter- You will need to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Sugar– Every great recipe has sugar in it.
- Light brown sugar- The sugar will add flavor and keeps your dessert moist
- Eggs– Make sure to have the eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract– Be sure to use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Flour– You can use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Cocoa powder– You will need to buy the unsweetened kind.
- Cream of tartar– This will add moisture and a chewy texture.
- Baking soda– This will allow your cookies to rise in the oven.
- Baking powder– This will let your ingredients double in size.
- Salt– This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Ground cinnamon sugar- You can ground your own ingredients for the best flavor and make your own cinnamon sugar.
How to Make Chocolate Snickerdoodles Cookies
Set your oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line 2 cookie sheets.
Add the butter, brown sugar, and sugar to a large bowl and beat until combined and creamy.
Add in one egg at a time and combine.
Mix in the vanilla.
Add the flour, cocoa, tartar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into another large bowl and whisk until combined.
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and combine until a dough forms.
Add 1 C of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Scoop 1 1/2 tbsp of cookie dough into your hands, using a small ice cream scooper.
Roll the dough in your hands until ball forms.
Roll the dough ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
Put onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Put the sheets into the oven and for 10-12 minutes, bake until the edges are set and the center is soft.
Set aside and cool completely before serving!
Do I Have to Have Cream of Tartar for Snickerdoodles?
Every ingredient in this Snickerdoodles recipe is important. The cream of tartar is very important for these cookies. The Tartar is what gives the cookies its tangy flavor and also gives the cookies that amazing chewy texture.
Is a Snickerdoodle the Same as a Sugar Cookie?
There are many similarities between Snickerdoodles and Sugar cookies. However, the difference is the cream of Tartar. This will make the cookies very chewy and prevent the sugar from crystalization.
What Goes in Chocolate Snickerdoodles?
You can really add anything you want to a recipe. This Chocolate Snickerdoodle recipe is a way to add some things to make it taste even better than it is. You can add different types of chocolate or filling or even different types of nuts or crisps.
More Snickerdoodle Recipes
- Apple Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Maple Snickerdoodles – Soft and Chewy
- Eggnog Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Ginger Maple Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Crazy Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until combined and creamy
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time until combined
- Beat in the vanilla
- Using another large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until combined
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined and a dough forms
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the 1 C of sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop out about 1 ½ tbsp of cookie dough
- Roll into a ball in your hands
- Coat cookie dough ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Place onto a cookie tray
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are set and the middle looks soft
- Allow cooling completely before enjoying