These Red Velvet Kiss Cookies are the perfect blend of rich cocoa and sweet vanilla, baked into soft, chewy bites of happiness topped with a peppermint Hershey’s kiss. These red velvet cookies are fun and festive and are sure to be the hit of the cookie exchange or on your cookie trays!
Red Velvet Kiss Cookie Recipe
These Red Velvet Blossom Cookies are like a holiday dream come true! If you’re someone who loves the rich, decadent taste of red velvet, you’re in for a real treat. Imagine biting into a soft, velvety cookie that melts in your mouth, and then you’re greeted by the delightful crunch of a peppermint Hershey’s Kiss on top. It’s a magical combination that captures the spirit of the holidays in every bite. We also have these Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms if you are looking for something similar with peanut butter flavor.
What You’ll Need
- Cookie: This is a traditional shortbread cookie that incorporates the delicious flavors of red velvet. You will need all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, unsalted butter, light brown sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, and red food coloring. This can be gel food coloring or liquid food coloring, although I prefer gel.
- Red Sanding Sugar: This is for rolling the cookie dough ball in to give it that shimmery Christmas look.
- Candy Cane Hershey Kisses: These are only available during the Christmas season. If you think ahead and want to make these cookies for Valentine’s Day, it is best to grab the kisses ahead of time.
How to Make Red Velvet Kiss Cookies
- Make the cookie dough: After preheating the oven, use the stand mixer and cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix in the red coloring. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Form the Cookies: Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough balls. Roll each ball in the red sanding sugar and place it on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the Kisses: While the cookies are baking, unwrap the kisses. Once the cookies are baked, let them sit for 2 minutes before placing a kiss in the center of each cookie. Let the cookies cool completely for 20 minutes on a wire rack.
How To Store
- To keep your Red Velvet Blossoms fresh and delightful, proper storage is key. After baking or receiving these scrumptious treats, store them in an airtight container. This helps maintain their soft, chewy texture and preserves their delightful flavor.
- If you want to enjoy them for a longer time, you can also freeze the cookies. Place them in a single layer in a freezer-safe container, separating the layers with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- When you’re ready for a sweet treat, simply take out the desired number of cookies and let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours. This way, you can enjoy Red Velvet Cookies anytime, knowing they’re as fresh and delicious as the day they were made.
I Can’t Find Peppermint Hershey Kisses
As I mentioned earlier, these are really only available around Christmas. If you didn’t plan ahead or the mood strikes and it isn’t around Christmas time, don’t worry! You can still make delicious Red Velvet Cookies by using regular chocolate Hershey’s Kisses, other types of chocolate candies or white chocolate chips. The result will be equally delightful, with a different twist of flavor. Enjoy experimenting with different chocolate combinations to create your own unique Red Velvet Cookies!
More Delicious Christmas Cookies
Red Velvet Kiss Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add in the red food coloring and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and cocoa powder until combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball.
- Roll the cookie dough into the red sanding sugar and place onto the cookie sheet.
- Repeat steps for 11 more cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once cookies are baked, let cool for 2 minutes before placing a Hershey kiss in the center.
- Repeat steps with remaining dough.
- Let cookie sit for 20 minutes to cool completely.