Chunky Monkey Brownies with mashed bananas and chocolate chips come together in this recipe for rich, delicious dessert.
Chunky Monkey Brownies
If you’re a banana bread fan (raises hand) you know that what makes it such a homestyle favorite is the flavor of banana. It’s subtle and slightly sweet and the longer the bread sits, the better it is.
I always use bananas that are overly ripe. Personally, I call them “rotten bananas,” which of course, they are not. Once they’ve turned brown and appear to be getting close to being a bit “mushy” I freeze them.
How to Freeze Bananas for Banana Bread
There are two ways I freeze my overripe bananas. The first one is the easiest. I throw the entire banana, still in its own peeling, in the freezer. Before you’re ready to make these brownies, take it out and let it thaw on the counter.
I recommend putting the frozen banana on a plate because sometimes they sort of leak and can make a mess. Better safe than sorry.
When it’s thawed, you can’t really peel it. Instead, pull the peeling back a little and squeeze until the banana comes out. I find when I do it this way, there is almost no need to then mash the bananas. It’s sort of “self-squished!”
The second way I freeze them takes more time, but I think it pays off later.
Those same overly ripe bananas can be mashed before you freeze them and then measured out so that it’s super easy to make something on the fly. Once they are prepared by mashing them with a fork, pop them in 1/4 cup measuring cups. Scrape the measured banana onto a parchment covered cookie sheet and lightly flatten out the mound a bit so that it will freeze easily and store easily.
Once the portions are frozen well, pop them off the cookie sheet and put them in a freezer bag that you mark with the measurement. This makes it so easy to take out the exact measurements you need for a recipe, let thaw, and easily use. Bonus: no more wasting bananas.
Enjoy these chunky monkey brownies!
Chunky Monkey Brownies
- 2 C flour
- 1 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 C bananas mashed
- 2 1/2 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, eggs, brown sugar, sugar, salt, and vanilla until combined and smooth
- Gradually beat in the flour and mashed banana until combined
- Fold in 2 C of chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the baking dish
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips onto the top of the brownies
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars