Dotted with chocolate chips and sweet bananas, these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a delectable way to start or end your day. Quick and easy to prepare with a super moist texture!
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These easy banana chocolate chip muffins take just a few minutes of prep time and they come out tall, fluffy, and moist every time.
These are bakery-style muffins which means they have the tall muffin top. To achieve this, I refrigerate the batter – which means you can do half of the work of the recipe up to a day in advance.
This may seem like an unnecessary step but I promise the final result is worth it!
We love the combination of banana and chocolate just like these other yummy recipes – Triple Chocolate Banana Bread, Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Tops. Want to stick to the classics? Don’t miss my Easy Banana Bread recipe!
Watch How It’s Made
See how easy this banana chocolate chip muffin is to make in this short video people.
Why You’ll Love These Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Here are a few reasons this is one of my favorite muffin recipes.
- Quick and easy prep. Though some time is needed to chill the batter, the actual hands-on time of these banana muffins is just a few minutes.
- Ultra moist and tender. Thanks in part to the chill time, these banana chocolate chip muffins have the most incredibly moist, tender texture that almost melts in your mouth.
- Bakery-style tops. The muffin batter is filled to the top of the liner to create a tall bakery-style muffin top.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
These easy banana chocolate chip muffins are made with just a handful of ingredients. Be sure to check the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and most natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar: This is great for making adding more moisture to the muffins. We all love delectable muffins, and this ingredient will do just that.
- Banana: These will be mashed to blend all throughout the muffin so that every bite tastes like bananas!
- Chocolate Chips or Chunks: These will give you bursts of chocolatey flavor in the recipes. Chocolate and bananas taste so good together!
Other Add-In Ideas
I love these chocolate banana muffins just the way they are. However, if you want to add a little something extra in, feel free.
Nuts are a great option and add a little crunch to the muffin. Walnuts, almonds, and pecans would all be super tasty.
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate chip banana muffins come together in a few easy steps. here’s how.
- Brown the butter. Brown the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once browned, remove from heat.
- Combine the ingredients. Combine the browned butter with the brown sugar, then add in the egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the banana. In a separate bowl, mash the banana until no chunks remain. Add the batter mixture, along with the chocolate chips.
- Chill. Cover the batter with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or overnight.
- Bake. Pour the chilled batter into cupcake liners, filling them to the top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 10-12 minutes until fully cooked.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making the best banana chocolate chip muffins.
- Avoid overmixing the batter. Mix the batter just until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Use ripe or overripe bananas. Bananas with some brown spots are perfect for this recipe! They’re not only sweeter but also easier to mash.
- Why do I need to chill the muffin batter? Chilling the batter is one secret to getting bakery-style muffins that rise up extra tall when baking.
- Fill the cupcake liners. Yes, all the way! This is key to achieving those bakery-style muffin tops.
- Do not open the oven. Resist the temptation to peek in the oven when you reduce the heat. Wait until the muffins are done baking and you just want to double-check the doneness to open the door.
Chocolate chip banana muffins are the perfect anytime treat. Enjoy them as breakfast on the go, as an afternoon pick-me-up or even as a dessert.
I highly recommend enjoying at least one warm from the oven, while the chocolate is nice and melty. Or pop it in the microwave for a few seconds before enjoying!
- Room temperature. Store your chocolate chip banana muffins in an airtight container or Ziploc bag on the counter for up to 3 days.
- Fridge. To extend the shelf life to 5 days, you can also place the muffins in the fridge.
- Freezer. Banana chocolate chip muffins do freeze well. Just place them in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter and enjoy!
More Muffin Recipes
- Honey Cornbread Muffins
- Banana Bran Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Tops
- Lemon Cranberry Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Start by browning the butter. Add the butter to a small pan and put it over medium heat stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat once you see brown specks beginning to form at the bottom of the pan. Pour it into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and mix until well combined. Then add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and incorporate. Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana until there are no big chunks. Add it to the batter along with the chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks) and mix until just combined.
- Cover your batter tightly and put it in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F and line the cupcake tins. Fill the muffin pan almost all the way to the top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 425 °F. The muffins should be about ¼” to ½” above the paper. Reduce the temperature to 350 °F and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes back clean. Do not open the door when reducing the temperature.