Few things in life are better than a sweet and salty dessert. These Salted Caramel Brownies take thick, fudgy brownies and add a salty caramel swirl that’s out of this world. They are so much better than boxed or store-bought brownies.
The Perfect Salty and Sweet Combo
These caramel brownies hit all the right notes with every single bite. The thick, salted caramel is the perfect addition to these classic fudgy brownies. I could honestly eat them every day to satisfy my sweet tooth. All you need with this decadent dessert is a tall, cold glass of milk.
What You’ll Need
These salted caramel brownies require simple, easy-to-find ingredients. It’s a cheap and delicious dessert.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate: High-quality chocolate chips or you can chop a chocolate bar.
- Butter: Unsalted and chopped into small cubes.
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Flour: All-purpose is what I use for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder
- Caramel Sauce – use our homemade caramel sauce or store-bought.
- Flaky Sea Salt – this can also be replaced with kosher salt or regular sea salt.
How to Make Brownies With Caramel
This brownie recipe consists of a quick homemade batter, and thick caramel. It’s the perfect caramel for baking.
- Step 1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8-inch square baking pan by lining with parchment paper or spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2. Add the butter and chocolate to a saucepan. Melt together over low heat and whisk occasionally until smooth.
- Step 3. Whisk eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. It’s ready when it has doubled in volume.
- Step 4. Next, pour the melted butter and chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Step 5. Sift in flour and cocoa powder. Whisk or beat with a hand mixer on low speed until just combined. Do not over-mix!
- Step 6. Pour the brownie batter into the baking pan.
- Step 7. Add the salt to the caramel sauce and mix. Pour ¾ of it over the brownie batter and swirl with the end of a knife. Reserve the remaining caramel for later.
- Step 8. Bake for 30 minutes. To test for doneness insert a cocktail stick into the middle. It should not come out clean or wet. Remove from the oven and let the brownies set in the pan.
- Step 9. Drizzle the rest of the caramel sauce over the brownies while they are still hot.
- Step 10. Cool completely and then slice into 9-inch squares.
- Step 11. Sprinkle the top with sea salt and serve!
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t skimp on the chocolate and buy the good stuff. It will result in the best-tasting brownies.
- You can use the microwave instead of melting the butter and chocolate on the stovetop. Check it after every few seconds to ensure the chocolate doesn’t burn and seize.
- Feel free to use Dulce de Leche instead of the caramel sauce.
- I recommend sifting the flour and cocoa powder to remove lumps.
- Refrain from overmixing the dry ingredients when incorporating them into the batter or the texture of the brownies will be more cake-like and less chewy and fudgy.
- You can use boxed brownie mix if you are short on time, but we highly recommend using the recipe given – it’s super easy!
- If you want to use a 9×13 baking pan, reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.
- For more firm brownies, bake for 40 minutes. For more gooey brownies, bake for 20 minutes (this is for the 8×8 pan).
- Allow the brownies to sit in the pan for 2-3 hours before you remove and slice them. This will keep them from falling apart.
How to Store Leftover Caramel Brownies
These salted caramel brownies can be stored in an airtight container and they will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 1 month.
More Desserts With Caramel to Try
- Salted Caramel Truffles
- Caramel Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Chocolate Caramel Cereal Bars
- 1 7 ounce semi sweet chocolate either high-quality chocolate baking chips or finely chopped from a bar
- 1 cup unsalted butter chopped into small cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Caramel Sauce homemade or store bought
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350oF and line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment and lightly grease with cooking oil spray.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a saucepan set over a low heat and melt together then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk until doubled in volume.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and butter mixture and mix until fully combined and a uniform color.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix on a low speed until just combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Add a teaspoon of flaky sea salt to the caramel sauce and stir together. Reserve 1/4 cup for later then dollop the remaining caramel sauce on top of the brownie batter. Use the end of a knife (or similar) to very gently swirl it into the brownie batter.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 30 minutes. You can test for doneness by insertng a toothpick into the middle of the brownies. It should not come out clean but should not be wet either. The brownies will continue to set in the pan once you take them out of the oven.
- Immediately drizzle over the remaining caramel sauce while the brownies are still hot in the pan.
- Once cool, remove the brownies from the pan and cut into 9 squares.
- Sprinkle each brownie with sea salt, serve and enjoy!