Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
Chocolate Banana Bread is the perfect twist between homemade banana bread and a chocolate brownie. Between the cocoa and chocolate chips in the recipe, this quick bread is practically bursting with chocolate flavor!
Chocolate Banana Bread
Banana bread is always my favorite way to use up over-ripe bananas. But this Chocolate Banana Bread really takes it over the top! The chocolate glaze gives this bread feel like a special dessert.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Chocolate Banana Bread (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Half & half
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×5-inch load pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
In another mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and mashed bananas. Add this mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the bread aside to cool.
In a medium saucepan, heat the half & half and brown sugar over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to simmer. Be sure to stir often to avoid burning. Stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until fully melted. Pour the glaze into a small bowl and allow it to cool.
Drizzle the cooled glaze over top of the banana bread, then slice and serve.
Can I Use Milk Chocolate?
Because the Chocolate Banana Bread bakes for close to an hour, milk chocolate is not recommended as it could overcook and have a burnt flavor and texture. Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks are perfect for this recipe.
Can I Make Mini Loaves?
Yes, you can turn this recipe into cute little mini loaves! Simply follow the recipe instructions as usual, but reduce the baking time. The baking time will depend on the size of your mini loaf pans, but the baking time should fall somewhere between 25 and 45 minutes. The best bet is to start checking the loaves for doneness at 25 minutes and keep checking every 5-10 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the loaves comes out clean. Keep track of how long it took for your mini loaves to bake so you’ll know for sure in the future.
How to Store the Chocolate Banana Bread
Keep the bread wrapped in plastic or in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. The bread will stay fresh for up to three days.
More Recipes You Will Enjoy
- Easy Lemon Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Pie Croissants
- Chocolate Ganache Cheesecakes
- Air Fryer Peach Hand Pies
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (about 4 small bananas)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and mashed bananas.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the half and half and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to bubble around the edges, stirring often. Stir in the butter and vanilla until combined.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chocolate chips, whisking until melted.
- Pour the chocolate glaze into a small bowl and set aside to cool completely. Once cooled, drizzle the glaze over top of the chocolate banana bread.