When you taste this easy apple crisp recipe, you are going to have a new favorite apple dessert. Delicious homemade apple filling with an incredible apple crisp topping is so simple to make. Enjoy it straight from the oven or the next day.
Easy Apple Crisp
When it comes to an apple dessert, there is nothing easier than this apple crisp recipe. This is such a simple dessert, you can start is right as dinner finishes and it is ready soon after. Serve with vanilla ice cream or our homemade whipped cream!
Do you love apple flavored treats? Enjoy this Caramel Apple Butterscotch Cocktail while enjoying your dessert.
Key Ingredients You Need:
- Rolled oats- Make sure you are using rolled oats.
- Cinnamon and brown sugar- This gives the additional flavors to the crisp.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter for the best results.
- Apples- Make sure you are using baking apples. I recommend using fuji or granny smith.
- Lemon juice- This prevents your apples from turning brown.
- Cornstarch- This helps to create the “sauce” that cooks in the crisp.
How to Make Apple Crisp
Make the oat topping in a medium bowl. Use your hands to combine the dry ingredients together with the butter until it is crumbly.
Next, make the apple filling. bine the filling together in a large bowl until the apples are well coated.
Pro Tip: Having a Peeler/Corer/Slicer tool is a life saver when making any recipe that uses apples.
Pour the filling into the baking pan and spread it out evenly. Pour the melted butter over top and then sprinkle the oat filling over top.
Bake until the filling is bubbling on the edges, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.
- Use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar for the oat topping.
- If using salted butter, omit the added salt in the topping.
- Use your favorite kind of apples but make sure they are baking apples. If they are not baking apples, they will either turn to mush or they will not get soft. I personally like Golden Delicious Apples, but Granny Smith or Fugi are other great options.
- Use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon juice.
How Long Does an Apple Crisp Last
This dessert will last about 3 to 4 days. It is important that the apple crisp is stored properly in order to help it last the longest possible and taste its best. It can be reheated in the oven on a very low temperature if you prefer it warm rather than cold or room temperature.
Can You Freeze Apple Crisp? Yes! Prepare and bake apple crisp as directed. Cool completely, then cover with two sheets of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then warm in a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
Make Ahead: Make the apple filling as instructed but add an extra splash of lemon juice to keep the apples from turning brown. You can find additional information on our Homemade Apple Pie Filling post. Store in an air-tight container and place in the fridge (no more than two days). Make the crumb topping and store separately in the fridge.
How to Store:
This can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Make sure it is covered well in plastic or stored in an airtight container. I like to put a paper towel on top of the apple crisp to collect any moisture so that it stays crisp.
Tips and Tricks
- Topping idea: Drizzle the top with our Homemade Caramel Sauce for an extra special treat.
- Gluten Free Apple Crisp: Substitute with Gluten-free flour and oats.
- Apple Crisp Without Oats: Exclude the oats and add an extra ⅓ cup flour and ⅓ cup brown sugar.
- Crock Pot Apple Crisp: Pour apple filling in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add crumble topping. Place a couple of paper towels on top of the topping to keep condensation from from making the topping soggy. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours until apples are tender.
Other Apple Recipes You Will Love:
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Dutch Apple Cookies
- The Most Delicious Apple Pie
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
- Cinnamon Apple Cake
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold and cut into small cubes
- 5 medium apples peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- First, make the oat topping. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, salt, and cold butter.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients and rub the dry ingredients into the butter until the mix is crumbly. Set aside.
- Now make the apple filling. In a large bowl, stir the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, and cornstarch together until the apples are well coated.
- Pour the apples into an 8×8 pan or baking dish, spread them out evenly, and pour the melted butter over the apples.
- Sprinkle the oat topping over the apples, and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the filling starts to bubble around the edges.