This easy to make Firecracker Chicken brings your favorite take out food and lets you make it at home. Tastier and healthier, this Firecracker chicken uses an Air fryer to get just the right amount of crispiness to the chicken without the added oil and the Instant Pot to create a deep flavor. Easily customizable, this is the best Firecracker Chicken recipe.
What is Firecracker Chicken?
Fire cracker chicken is a sweet and spicy chicken that has a bit of buffalo seasoning with a tang of rice vinegar. The chicken is crispy, the sauce is bursting with flavors, like firecrackers.
This Firecracker Chicken is one of the healthiest versions you can make without losing any of the flavors. Because this recipe uses the Air Fryer, it is a much healthier option. The chicken is not deep fried but it is still crispy. Then the Instant Pot creates a deep rich sauce that has a low and slowly simmered flavor without the time.
Love Chinese Food Take Out you can make at home? You have to try Easy Chicken Fried Rice with Yum Yum Sauce.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Flour – we use corn flour and all-purpose flour.
- Olive oil – you just need 1 Tablespoon.
- Buffalo hot sauce
- Brown sugar – adds a tad of sweetness.
- Rice vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
- Veggies – Green onions, Snow peas, Red pepper and Onion
How to Make Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
- Cut chicken into chunks.
- Cover the chicken pieces with beaten egg and flour.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the veggies to the instant pot and saute’ for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken and sauce. Pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve.
Can I Adjust the Heat in this Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken?
If you are concerned about the amount of heat in this recipe, you can adjust the heat by changing the amount and flavor of the buffalo sauce as well as the red pepper flakes. With red peppers flakes, a little goes a long way to give flavor and heat.
Other Delicious Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Chicken Spaghetti in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Salmon and Rice
- Chili Lime Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Firecracker Chicken
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup corn flour
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- ⅓ cup buffalo hot sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes or more to taste
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- ¼ cup snow peas
- ¼ cup red pepper sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- Cut up your chicken breasts into 1″ to 1.5″ chunks and set them aside.
- Set up your station with one bowl holding your beaten eggs, and the other holding your flour, and corn flour.
- Spray the inside of your air fryer lightly with some oil.
- Dip your chicken cube into the egg wash, then place it into your coating. Make sure your chicken is well coated and place it into the air fryer. Repeat until your air fryer is full.
- Set your air fryer to 400F and cook your homemade chicken for 5 minutes. You do not want to fully cook as we will use the Instant Pot next.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and red pepper flakes. Set to the side.
- Add the olive oil and the veggies to the instant pot turned on to saute’ high. Stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the instant pot and toss to combine.
- Turn the instant pot off / cancel and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Turn on manual for 4 minutes.
- Once the timer is up release the pressure from the Instant Pot. Remove the lid and serve.