Enjoying everyone’s favorite comfort food with this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe is easier than ever. You still get that creamy and cheesy flavor but with less time cooking AND less time waiting for dinner!
Quick Homemade Mac and Cheese
It takes less than 15 minutes to achieve delicious ooey-gooey macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot. This is hands down the fastest and best Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe I’ve made. It has 3 different kinds of cheese, making it salty and savory, which is exactly what I look for in this meal!
My kids LOVE mac and cheese. We enjoy it for dinner at least a couple of times a month. I love how this is quicker than making stovetop mac and cheese or waiting to heat up the oven for baked mac and cheese. That’s where this recipe came from. Who knew you could make a pressure cooker mac and cheese that tastes just as yummy? It’s perfect for busy weeknights and for times when I just don’t feel like spending time in a hot kitchen.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is what you need to end up with the best Instant Pot macaroni and cheese!
- Vegetable Broth
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Sharp Cheddar: This will need to be shredded.
- Gruyere: This must also be shredded to mix into the sauce.
- Goat Cheese
- Nonfat Plain Yogurt
- Elbow Noodles
- Nutmeg: This is optional, but it adds a nice warm flavor. It can be freshly grated or ground.
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
This one-pot dinner only takes 3 steps to make, and then it’ll be ready to eat.
- Add broth, noodles, and seasoning. Pour vegetable broth into the pot and season with salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir in the elbow noodles and make sure they are fully submerged in the broth.
- Cook Pasta. Place the lid on the pot and make sure the vent is sealed. Cook on high pressure for about 3 minutes. Let it naturally release for 5 minutes before moving the vent knob for quick release. Use a potholder and wooden spoon for safety as the steam will be very hot.
- Add Sauce Ingredients. Stir in milk and then slowly add in each cheese until fully melted. Then, add yogurt and nutmeg. Make sure all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Serve. Enjoy it hot!
Tips and Variations
Wondering about substitutions? Here are my recommendations to make this recipe more your own.
- Broth. You can substitute chicken broth or water for the vegetable broth. If you choose the chicken broth, you can omit the salt from the recipe.
- Pasta. Use any shape you like. Some of my favorites are medium shells or rotini.
- Cheese. It must be freshly grated to achieve the right texture. As long as you keep the measurements the same, you can use different types of cheese. I suggest trying Swiss or pepper jack.
- Milk. Whole milk is best for the creamiest result, but you can use nut milk instead if you prefer.
- Add-Ins. Add cooked and chopped broccoli or bacon to take it up a notch.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover Instant Pot macaroni and cheese can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days. This can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add a splash of milk to keep it from dying out when reheating.
What to Serve With Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots
- IP Pound Cake
- Instant Pot Salmon and Rice
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam
Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt omit if using chicken broth with normal sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 cup gruyere shredded
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 16 ounces elbow noodles or shape of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Pour the broth, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder into the Instant Pot, stir to blend seasonings. Add the noodles and stir, make sure they are under the broth.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Make sure the vent is in the ‘sealed’ position. Allow natural release for 5 minutes.
- Then, using a potholder or wooden spoon, move the venting knob to the vented position to allow the pressure to come down the rest of the way. (quick release)
- Pour in the milk and stir. Add in the cheese gradually, stirring after each addition until it’s completely melted. Add the yogurt and nutmeg and stir until combined.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
● You can change out they types of cheese for your preferences, but keep the proportions
● Any type of milk will do. Whole milk will be creamier, nut milk works fine.
● Nutmeg adds a little nuttiness and warmth, it’s a great addition, but can be left out.
Freshly grated nutmeg is superb, but already ground nutmeg works too.