Time is ticking and the sleigh bells are ringing! With Christmas just around the corner, we could all use a last-minute dessert recipe. This Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe will be a great way to spend time with your family and friends and dig into a delicious dessert.
Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is so amazing! You have the spiced gingerbread flavor just in time for Christmas! This recipe is so simple and easy to make with only a few ingredients. This may become a new favorite with you and your loved ones, so be sure to save this one!
- Flour- You can use all-purpose for the best results.
- Ginger- This will be an additional spice for flavoring.
- Nutmeg- This will add a wonderful aroma to your pie.
- Cloves- This will add additional taste.
- Cinnamon- You can ground your own ingredients for the best flavoring.
- Baking soda– This will allow your cake to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in the cake.
- Light brown sugar- This will add moisture to your cake.
- Molasses- This will help in the making of the gingerbread flavoring.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Water- This water will be added to the batter.
- Buttermilk- Use milk with a bit of vinegar as a substitute.
- Eggs- Use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Cream cheese- Use softened or room temperature cream cheese.
- Powdered sugar- This sugar is perfect for homemade frosting.
- Heavy whipping cream- This will help with the consistency of the topping.
How to Make a Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Set the oven to 350 degrees and use pam to spray a 9×13 inch pan.
Add the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, baking soda, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, kosher salt, and light brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the butter, water, and molasses into a large saucepan and melt over medium heat.
Bring to a boil.
Slowly add the dry mixture into the molasses mixture.
Take away from the heat and let sit and cool for a few minutes.
Add in the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
Add the batter to the prepared dish and put it on a cookie sheet.
Put in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester placed in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool while you make the topping.
Add the cream cheese, butter, sugar, vanilla, whipping cream, and a tablespoon of cinnamon into a standing mixer and beat to combine until smooth.
Pour over the cake and spread evenly, then sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
Serve and enjoy!
What Gives Gingerbread its Distinct Flavor?
This Gingerbread Sheet Cake is so delicious and has a wonderful blend of spices. The Gingerbread flavor is actual made with Ginger, Nutmeg, Cloves, Cinnamon, and Molasses. These ingredients mixed together is what gives that distinct flavor.
Does This Cake Need Icing?
While you do not have to make this frosting, I love how the sweet flavors combine to create to keep this cake moist and delicious. It is a great combination and I think it is a match made in heaven.
More Gingerbread Recipes
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Balls
- Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
- The Best Gingerbread Loaf
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 c flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¾ C light brown sugar
- ¼ C Molasses
- 1 C unsalted butter
- 1 C water
- ½ C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 - 8 oz cream cheese frosting softened
- 1 C unsalted buttersoftened
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking pan with pam baking spray
- Using a large bowl whisk together the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, baking soda, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, kosher salt, and light brown sugar
- Using a large saucepan, combine the butter, water, and molasses over medium heat until butter is melted
- Bring the mixture to a slight boil
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients into the saucepan
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool for a few minutes
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla until combined
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and place onto a cookie sheet
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow cooling
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, heavy whipping cream, and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon until combined and smooth
- Spread evenly over the top of the cake and sprinkle some more cinnamon on top
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.