This Hershey Bar Cake is a chocolate lovers dream! Layers of German chocolate with cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache topped with chunks of Hershey bar.
Hershey Bar Cake
Is this cake not one of the most beautiful masterpieces you’ve ever seen? It’s one of those recipes that you make and almost don’t want to eat because it’s so pretty! But trust me, not eating this would almost be a crime. It’s could easily be the best tasting cake I’ve ever had. And I’ve tried a lot of cakes!
Making a Hershey Bar Cake
The basic part of the cake layers is from a boxed cake mix with a special ingredient mixed in: pudding! This makes the cake extra moist and will be a cake hack you’ll probably use all the time.
You will make this Hershey Bar cake extra tall by cutting your two round cakes in half to make four thin layers. To do this I highly recommend a cake slicer. Of course, you can do this with a bread knife if you’re up for it, but the cake slicer ensures the layers are even. I can never get them even with a knife! They’re usually at Walmart or a craft store and are under about $15.
Alternating your cake with frosting makes a moist cake that is absolutely delicious. Then we coat it with chocolate ganache and pieces of a Hershey bar! This cake is definitely worth every minute of work it takes to create it.
Hershey Bar Cake
Cake layers Ingredients
- 2 boxes German Chocolate cake mix
- 6.8 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix (I used 2 3.4-oz boxes)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 9 inch springform pans with parchment paper and spray with pam baking spray.
- Using a standing mixer, combine the cake mix, vanilla pudding, eggs, canola oil, and water and mix until combined.
- Divide batter between the two springform pans and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Once baked, allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Grate the Hershey chocolate bars and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar for 5-10 minutes until combined.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Fold in the cool whip, pecan chips, and grated chocolate.
- Mix until combined.
- Using a cake slicer, slice the two cakes into two layers each. You should have a total of 4 layers.
Chocolate Ganache Directions:
- Using a small sauce pan, heat up the heavy whipping cream until slightly simmering.
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl.
- Pour the hot whipping cream into the bowl with the chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Pour ganache into a squeeze bottle and set aside.
Cake Decorating Directions:
- Place one of the cake layers onto the cake board.
- Scoop two cups of the frosting onto the top of the cake.
- Smooth with a knife.
- Place the second layer onto the top of the first.
- Scoop another cup of frosting onto the cake and smooth.
- Repeat steps with the last two cake layers.
- Once the layers are stacked frost the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Using the chocolate ganache, drizzle around the top edge of the cake that way it drips down.
- Cover the top of the cake with the remaining chocolate ganache.
- Set aside so that the ganache can cool.
Chocolate frosting directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until smooth and thick.
- Add in a few tbsp of heavy whipping cream to thin out your frosting if its to thick.
- Scoop frosting into the piping bag.
- Pipe dollops of frosting around the top of the cake.
- Place Hershey bars on alternating dollops of frosting.
- Sprinkle the chocolate sprinkles onto the dollops of frosting that don’t have a Hershey bar.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 1 piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 2 9-inch springform pans or cake pans
- 1 cake slicer
- 1 10-inch cake board