If you need a hearty weeknight dinner, you can’t go wrong with Homemade Hamburger Helper. Made with macaroni noodles, ground beef, flavorful spices, sour cream and plenty of cheddar cheese, it’s the perfect one-pot meal.
Homemade Hamburger Helper
One skillet meal in less than 30 minutes? Yes, please! Homemade Hamburger Helper is a real winner because it’s a filling, hot meal that the whole family loves. Best of all, you can customize the flavors and ingredients however you like.
While you’re here, be sure to check out these other delicious and easy dinner recipes: Easy Air Fryer Pizzas | Crockpot Crack Chicken | Instant Pot Chicken Tacos | Cheesy Taco Spaghetti | Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Homemade Hamburger Helper (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- Ground beef – use a lean ground beef.
- Ketchup – the ketchup just adds a little extra flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Pepper – you can use either black pepper or white pepper.
- Macaroni noodles – be sure you use raw uncooked macaroni–it will cook in the pan with the other ingredients.
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream – we used a regular, full-fat sour cream. This ingredient adds a nice creaminess to the dish.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – sharp cheddar adds great flavor, but you could use any type of shredded cheese that you like.
How to Make Homemade Hamburger Helper
Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until completely browned. Drain off the excess grease and return the meat to the pan. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the ketchup, seasonings, uncooked macaroni noodles, and broth.
Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes, just until macaroni is cooked through.
Stir in the sour cream, then add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir well until combined.
Serve the homemade Hamburger Helper right away while it’s warm.
Cheese – try adding a blend of cheddar cheese and another cheese, like shredded gouda.
Turkey – ground turkey works really well in this recipe.
Spices – adjust the seasonings to your personal taste.
Making Hamburger Helper Ahead of Time
Can you make Hamburger Helper ahead of time for a quick family meal? Absolutely. Here are two ways to accomplish this goal:
- Prep Ingredients – Cook the ground beef up to one day before it is needed. Store the beef in the refrigerator to have ready to toss in the skillet and make the Hamburger Helper in a flash the next day. Pull all of the other ingredients together and have them ready to quickly add to the skillet. You can even measure the ingredients out in advance so they’re ready to pour right in.
- Cook Ahead – Cook the Hamburger Helper up to one day in advance. Cover it well and store in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, heat it up in a large skillet.
What to Serve with Hamburger Helper
- French bread and butter
- Steamed or roasted vegetables
- Sour cream
- Fresh chopped parsley
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup macaroni uncooked
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and cook over medium heat until completely browned. Drain off the excess grease and return the meat to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the ketchup, seasonings, uncooked macaroni noodles, and broth.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes, just until macaroni is cooked through.
- Stir in the sour cream, then add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir well until combined. Serve immediately.
- Large skillet with a lid.