This Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon Recipe is so delicious and easy to make, everyone will be asking you for the recipe. Peas, bacon, red onions, and cheese in a delicious homemade creamy dressing, this salad is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon
You of course know the classic cold salads like potato salad, pasta salad, and broccoli salad. But for a really delicious take on the favorite side dish salads, go for the pea salad! It’s so simple to make and so perfect for your next BBQ, picnic, or cookout.
This Bacon Pea Salad Recipe goes really nicely with a burger, hot dog, or barbecue. I could also see this being a really nice dish to bring to a potluck or make for a party.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Bacon Pea Salad Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Frozen sweet peas
- Cheddar cheese
- Red onion
For the dressing:
- Sour cream
- Granulated sugar
- White vinegar
How to Make Pea Salad
Start by whisking together the ingredients for the salad dressing in a small mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate while you move on to the next steps.
In a large mixing bowl, toss together the peas, cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, and diced red onion.
Pour the salad dressing over the salad, then toss to mix.
It’s just that simple!
Here are some possible variations you might want to try:
- Vidalia onion – if you don’t have a red onion or would prefer to use another type of onion, try using a sweet vidalia.
- Fresh peas – yes, you can use fresh peas in this recipe! Just be sure to blanch the peas in boiling water for a minute or two to soften, then drain the peas and cool completely to room temperature before using them in the salad.
- Vinegar – the recipe calls for white vinegar, but you could use a red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead.
- Cubed cheese – instead of shredded cheddar cheese, try chopping an 8-ounce block of cheese into small cubes and adding them to the salad.
How to Store the Leftovers
Be sure to keep the salad refrigerated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the salad to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days. Serve the salad cold.
So Many More Recipes to Love!
Pea Salad with Bacon
- 4 cups frozen sweet peas thawed
- 12 strips bacon cooked until crisp then finely chopped or crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 a medium red onion peeled and diced
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate while you move on to the next steps.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peas, cooked bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced red onion.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad in ingredients in the large bowl; toss well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.