One-pot meals are some of the best and easiest around and this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Stew. It’s a warm, hearty, and comforting dinner you’ll want to make any night of the week. With its rich flavor and tender beef and vegetables, it tastes like it’s been slow cooking all day even though it hasn’t.
Easy Beef Stew Recipe
Normally, I would always make stew in the slow cooker. I felt like it needed to be cooked low and slow all day long for it to be delicious. Once you unlock the magic of the Instant Pot, you’ll discover all the amazing recipes you can make with it, along with how much time you save cooking. Pressure cooking is vastly underrated and after you try this recipe, I’m sure you’ll agree.
This doesn’t mean I don’t break out the slow cooker anymore. However, I don’t always have the time to prep early to ensure enough cooking time. With kids and other responsibilities, sometimes it’s easier to whip up dinner quickly in the evening after working all day. This is especially true with this Instant Pot stew recipe only takes 45 minutes. If you do have time in the morning to prep, we have a delicious Slow Cooker Beef Stew or Cowboy Stew you will love. Another option is our Guinness Beef Stew that has a wonderful flavor.
What You’ll Need to Make This Instant Pot Stew
This may seem like a lot of ingredients but it isn’t! It’s the same amount you would need to make any kind of flavorful stew.
- Beef – Cut into 1-inch pieces
- Potatoes – Diced into bite-sized pieces
- Onions – Chopped
- Carrots – Chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Garlic – finely chopped or minced cloves
- Olive oil – For browning the beef, onion, and garlic
- Potato starch – If you do not have potato starch, corn starch can be used.
- Salt & Pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Dried herbs – Great examples are thyme and rosemary
How to Make This Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
Here is the step-by-step process of making this recipe for stew in the Instant Pot.
- Saute the Beef. Brown the beef in the olive oil in saute mode for about 10 minutes. Leave the lid on for most of the cooking and only remove it to stir twice.
- Saute Onion and Garlic. Remove the beef and add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook on saute mode for 5 minutes but leave the lid off the pot.
- Add Tomato Paste and Broth. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 additional minutes before pouring in the beef broth.
- Add in Veggies, Beef, and Spices. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, browned beef, and all the spices (including the herbs).
- Pressure Cook. Set to pressure cooking mode and cook for 25 minutes. Leave the lid on and do not move the Instant Pot.
- Make a Slurry. Mix the potato starch and water in a small bowl, then pour it into the Instant Pot.
- Add Peas. Add in the peas and stir thoroughly.
- Cook. Close the lid and cook on saute mode for 10 minutes.
- Serve. The stew can be served immediately once it’s finished cooking. Enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers of this Instant Pot beef stew can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It can be reheated in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl covered with a paper towel for about 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway. I wouldn’t recommend freezing leftover stew as it changes the texture and dries out the beef when reheating.
Want some ideas to make this recipe more your own? Below we have some ways you can change up this beef stew!
- The veggies used in this stew are traditional choices but you can add some substitutions like parsnips or rutabaga.
- Feel free to use chicken instead of beef if you would like to get creative.
- Dried herb options include thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, and bay leaves.
- Add mushrooms when you add the green peas for added flavor and texture.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
- Salmon and Rice
- Instant Pot Taco Pasta
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- In olive oil, fry the beef in an IP for 10 minutes on Saute mode. Close the lid and stir the beef twice during the frying process.
- Transfer beef and set aside. Sauté the onion and garlic on Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The lid may not be closed.
- Add tomato paste, stir and fry for another two minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the IP and stir.
- Add chopped potatoes, carrots, fried beef, salt and seasoning.
- Mix everything and set pressure cooking for 25 minutes. Do not move the IP while the dish is cooking.
- After the beep, gently release the pressure and open the lid – the beef and vegetables will be soft.
- Stir the starch with water and pour into the Instant Pot bowl, add also green peas. Stir and cook on Saute mode with the lid closed for 10 minutes. 9. Beef stew can be served immediately.
- Beef stew can be served immediately.