Have a craving for Bourbon Chicken? This Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken is absolutely delicious. Better than take out, you can whip this dish together in no time. Absolutely fantastic, make Bourbon Chicken for dinner tonight, and save the leftovers for lunch!
Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
Bourbon chicken is a dish that came from Bourbon Street in New Orleans and of course, the main flavor ingredient is bourbon whiskey. The dish is often seen on cajun menus as well as Chinese restaurants. It can be served with white rice or even potatoes.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – This gives the most authentic flavor but you can use chicken breast as well.
- Broccoli- Fresh broccoli will work best in this recipe
- Red and Green Peppers- While these are the peppers traditionally used, you can use whatever colored peppers you prefer.
- Cornstarch- Cornstarch is used to thicken the sauce of the Bourbon Chicken.
- Sesame seeds -These are used for garnish
- Ginger paste- Ginger paste is great for giving a big flavor burst but fresh ginger can be used too.
- Garlic – You want the garlic minced. You can buy it preminced or do it yourself.
- Crushed red chili flakes- You can adjust the heat of this recipe by using more or less chili flakes.
- Apple juice- The apple juice gives flavor and helps to make the sauce.
- Honey- Honey gives a sticky sweetness to this recipe which helps with the flavor.
- Brown sugar- I like to use brown sugar instead of white sugar because of the added molasses.
- Ketchup- The ketchup gives a tang to this recipe and a sweetness along with a slight tomato flavor.
- Cider vinegar- Vinegar helps to cut through the sweetness of this recipe while adding flavor.
- Water- The water is important in making the sauce because it is part of the cornstarch slurry.
- Bourbon- You can’t have bourbon chicken without bourbon.
- Soy sauce- This adds the right amount of saltiness to the recipe
- Salt & pepper- Add the salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Bourbon Chicken
Combine the sauce ingredients and add it to the Instant Pot.
Place the chicken into the Instant Pot and coat it with the sauce.
Add the vegetables on top of the chicken and close the lid.
Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Make the cornstarch slurry.
Let it do a natural release for 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
Remove the chicken and vegetables and sit them aside.
Add the slurry to the pot and mix it well until it thickens.
Return the chicken and vegetables to the sauce.
Is There Actually Bourbon in Bourbon Chicken?
You can’t have bourbon chicken without bourbon. There is a 1/4 cup of bourbon in the sauce of this chicken. There is enough to give it flavor, but it is not enough to affect anyone.
Is Bourbon Chicken Safe for Kids
That is a personal choice. There is alcohol in the recipe and while some of it will cook out during the cooking process, there is no way to know if all of it cooks out.
More Instant Pot Dinner Ideas
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Stir Fry Recipe
- Instant Pot General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Firecracker Chicken in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 red pepper and green pepper sliced
- 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- Garnish with sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your chicken and pat dry, set to the side.
- Add your apple juice, Bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, honey,
- crushed red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, and ginger to your Instant Pot.
- Mix to combine.
- Place your chicken into the instant pot, toss to coat in the bourbon mixture.
- Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot on top of the chicken.
- Secure the lid to your pressure cooker, and turn the release valve on top to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot on manual.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix your cornstarch and cold water.
- Set aside.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, allow it to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Then do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables and set to the side.
- Eave remaining sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and slowly add in the cornstarch mixture.
- Using your whisk, mix until thickened.
- Return chicken and vegetables to the sauce.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.