You’re going to love this Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. Since we added in the Irish Whiskey, this is a fantastic grown-up dessert for St. Patrick’s Day. Anyone who loves bread pudding will adore this recipe!
Irish Whiskey Bread Pudding
Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce is a fantastic way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, or for a fun dessert on any day. This easy New Orleans favorite has a generous drizzle of whiskey cream sauce that makes a rich dessert. It’s the perfect dessert to make when entertaining, because it’s thrown together in minutes.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Irish Whiskey – we used Jameson.
- French Bread – 1-2 day old bread works best.
- Milk – any milk is fine to use including skim, 2% or whole.
- Raisins – You can leave these out, but we highly recommend adding them.
- Butter – Make sure you use quality butter and not a margarine. Salted butter is fine to use as well.
- Whipped Cream – we use Reddi-Whip, but this is optional. Serving with ice cream is delicious as well.
- Brown Sugar – you will need this for the sauce.
How To Make Irish Bread Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the bread into cubes
- Combine the wet ingredients and pour over the bread cubes.
- Bake in 2 8 oz ceramic ramekins until golden brown.
How To Make Whiskey Caramel Sauce:
- Combine the whiskey sauce in a sauce pan and simmer.
- Pour over the baked bread pudding.
- Top with whipped cream and serve.
Tips for Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
- You can bake it in a casserole dish, or in individual ramekins. I have personally not baked in a larger dish, but you will have to keep an eye on the cooking time and bake a bit longer.
- What kind of bread is best? Since bread is the base for this dish, using a bread (such as French or sour dough bread) with a strong texture that won’t get soggy.
- Can bread pudding be made ahead of time? YES! The bread can soak in the sauce overnight. Just assemble, cover it tightly and place it in the fridge. Make sure to bring the dish to room temperature before placing it in your preheated oven.
- Leftovers (I doubt you’ll have any) can be covered and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Other Whiskey Recipes
- Whiskey Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Stout Cake with Whiskey Buttercream Frosting
- Irish Whiskey Brownies
- Old-Fashioned Whiskey Cake
- Chocolate Brownie Cherry Bombs with Whiskey
Irish Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
Irish Bread Pudding
Irish Whisky sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Irish Whisky
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your ramekins and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Using a bread knife, cut your french bread into 1 inch cubes.
- Set aside in a large bowl.
- In the small saucepan, melt the milk and butter on medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, Irish whiskey, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and mix until combined.
- Then pour the milk over the bread and mix.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Equally scoop the bread pudding mixture into both of the ramekins.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Once baked, let cool completely. The bread pudding will slightly sink and that's okay.
- Once the bread is cooled but still warm start making your Irish Whisky sauce.
- Using a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients on medium heat and mix until smooth.
- Drizzle the whiskey sauce over bread pudding and top with additional raisins and whipped cream
- Serve and Enjoy!