Old Fashioned Whiskey Cake
This Old Fashioned Whiskey Cake is a delicious whiskey-infused cake recipe that is topped with a whiskey glaze and some chopped walnuts. A delicious bundt cake that has the best flavors of walnuts and whiskey, this cake is a classic and will be loved for your next special occasion.
This Bundt Cake is so good and even though it is infused with Whiskey. This cake recipe is so simple to make and will only take a bit of time to create and serve to guests or to enjoy at night by yourself. I love recipes that have a touch of alcohol to add flavor such as a Bourbon Donut Bread Pudding or Chocolate Rum Crinkle Cookies are great dessert-style recipes infused with liquor.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Light brown sugar- This will add richness and moisture to your recipe.
- Sugar- Every great dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Ground Cinnamon- This will be added to the batter for additional flavoring.
- Baking Soda- This will allow your ingredients to rise in the oven.
- Salt- This will help bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Eggs- Be sure to use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Sour Cream- This will cut the richness of the recipe in half.
- Whiskey- This will be added to the glaze for the flavoring.
- Heavy Cream- This will help with consistency.
- Walnuts- These will be used for garnish on top of the cake.
How to Make a Whiskey Cake
Set the oven to 300 degrees.
Use a non-stick baking spray to grease a 9-inch bundt pan.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine/
Add the butter, sugar, and cream into a large mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
One at a time, add in the eggs and combine after each one.
Scoop in the sour cream and combine.
Pour in the Whiskey and mix until fully incorporated.
Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the batter.
Combine all of the cinnamon mixture ingredients into a small bowl.
Add half of the batter into the prepared pan, then add half of the cinnamon mixture on top.
Add the rest of the batter and spread evenly.
Sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon mixture on top of the batter.
Put the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 70 minutes or until a tester placed in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
When cooled, flip onto a serving plate.
Let the cake cool a bit longer while you begin making the glaze.
Add the powdered sugar, whiskey, vanilla, and cream into a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Top off the finished cake by pouring the glaze over top and sprinkle some walnuts on top.
Cut, Serve, and Enjoy!
Is This Cake Safe for Kids to Eat?
The cake is safe for children to consume because the alcohol is baked out of the Whiskey Bundt Cake recipe. However, you as a parent are the one who decides whether you want your children to eat this recipe. If you are a friend or family member of someone who has children, I recommend mentioning that the cake is infused with liquor.
Can I Make This in a Regular Cake Pan Instead?
You can absolutely change the pan size for this Bundt Cake recipe if needed. You can use whatever pan you would like, but I will mention that the measurements of the ingredients may need to change to fit what size you want. It is a quick fix to find out the measurements, but you should have the same results in the end.
What is Whiskey Cake Made Of?
Basic cake ingredients with a few extra added ingredients like cinnamon and whiskey to make the flavoring. It is very simple to make and doesn’t exceed the normal expectations of what a cake needs.
More Alcohol-Infused Recipes:
- Baileys Irish Cream Truffles
- Bourbon Pecan Cake
- Apple Pie Bourbon Flavored Popcorn Mix
- Pina Colada Cookies – with Rum Glaze
Old Fashioned Whiskey Cake
- 2 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- 4 Tbsp. Whiskey
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup whiskey
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Walnuts for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch bundt cake pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk until combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, mix to combine well after each egg.
- Add in the sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add the Whiskey and mix until combined.
- Gradually begin to add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a small bowl add the cinnamon mixture ingredients, stir to combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon-brown sugar mixture on top of the batter.
- Pour the rest of the batter on top of the cinnamon brown sugar mixture.
- Smooth this layer evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon mixture on top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 15-20 minutes in the bundt pan.
- After cooling, turn onto a serving plate.
- Allow cooling.
- In a medium bowl add the powdered sugar, whiskey, vanilla, and cream.
- Mix till combined.
- Pour the glaze over the bundt cake and garnish it with walnuts.