Lemon Meringue Pie
This classic Lemon Meringue Pie recipe will be a great choice for dessert or to bring to any occasion you may be having. This Meringue Pie has a delicious filling topped with a fluffy meringue. When the pie is baked. it comes out a lovely golden brown color on time.
Lemon Meringue Pie
This Lemon Meringue Pie is so good and simple to make. This recipe only uses a handful of ingredients for its recipe and has steps to follow to make a delicious pie. This recipe has its lemon flavor come from freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest. These fresh ingredients enhance the flavor of the pie so well. There are plenty of other recipes to try out that are easy and quick to make. This Strawberry Lemon Easy Chess Pie or this Apple Hand Pies (McDonald’s Copycat) are super tasty fruit-flavored pies.
Ingredients for Lemon Meringue Pie
- Crust- You can buy a prebaked crust or make your own homemade.
- Sugar- Every great recipe has sugar as an ingredient.
- Cornstarch- This will give the pie a thicker consistency.
- Water- You will need cold water for this recipe.
- Eggs- The eggs will need to be at room temperature.
- Zest- Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing them.
- Lemon Juice- Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavoring.
- Butter- You will need the butter to be salted for this recipe
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
Set the oven to 350 degrees.
Add a cup of sugar ad cornstarch into a medium saucepan and whisk to combine.
Add 1 1/2 cup of water while continuing to whisk the mixture. (DO NOT TURN ON THE STOVE YET, THIS IS DONE WITH NO HEAT)
Begin to remove the yolks from the whites for your eggs. The egg whites will be used to make the meringue.
Place the yolks in a bowl and use a fork or whisk to break them and beat slightly.
Add the egg yolks to a saucepan and whisk.
How to Make Meringue
Add the egg whites into a large bowl and use a hand mixer or a standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites until they become foamy.
Pour 2/3 cup of sugar into the whites and beat until you have stiff peaks.
Turn off the stove while the meringue is being prepared.
Place the filling on a low boil, be sure to whisk regularly to keep the mixture from sticking to the bottom, and help control the heat to evenly cook the mixture.
Let the mixture heat for 1 minute.
Take away from the heats and add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter. Combine until smooth. The consistency of the filling should be thick and hot.
Pour the filling into the pie crust.
Quickly add scoops of the meringue on top, then use a spatula to build a peak and valley-type design.
Push the meringue to the edges of the crust to seal in the ingredients.
Place the pie into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Watch closely to brown the pie to your desired color. You can flip the pie halfway to even out the browning.
Take out of the oven and allow it to rest and cool before serving.
Cut and Enjoy!
What is Meringue Made From?
The meringue is a simple topping for your pie. It is a two-ingredient topping. The egg whites from the start of the recipe are beaten until foamy. Then, you add in some sugar to make it sweet and you’re done.
Can I Use Whipped Cream Instead?
You can use whipped cream as a substitute for meringue. However, both are not the same and the meringue will fit better with this dessert. It is only two ingredients and very simple to make.
More Pie Recipes:
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 9 ” pie crust pre-baked
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- Zest of 1 lemon about 2 teaspoons
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1.Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2.In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup of sugar and the cornstarch. Continue whisking while adding 1½ cups of cold water to the pan, stirring until combined. (DO NOT TURN ON THE STOVE YET, THIS IS DONE WITH NO HEAT)
- 3.Separate egg yolks from the whites (reserving the whites for the meringue). Gently whisk or use a fork to break up the yolks and beat them just slightly.
- 4.Whisk the egg yolks into the saucepan.
- 5.In a small bowl, measure the lemon zest and lemon juice so they are ready to add to the pie filling mixture when it comes off the stove.
- 6.Begin preparing the meringue. Place the egg whites into a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer. Use a whisk attachment (regular beaters on a hand mixer work, too!) and beat the egg whites until they are foamy. Add ⅔ cup of sugar to the foamy egg whites and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- 7.While the meringue is being prepared, turn the stovetop on to medium heat. Bring the filling mixture to a low boil, whisking constantly to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan and to control the heating of the egg yolks in the mixture. Boil gently for 1 minute while stirring.
- 8.Remove filling from the heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter. Whisk until smooth. The filling should be thickened and hot.
- 9.Spread pie filling into the prepared pre-baked pie crust. Immediately mound the meringue over the hot filling. Use a spatula or spoon to make dips in the meringue - giving it swirled peaks and valley appearance. BE SURE to press the meringue against the crust around the edges to seal it completely.
- 10.Bake the pie for about 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it and remove it once it is browned to your liking - you may wish to turn the pie halfway through baking to help with even browning.
- 11.Allow the pie to cool completely before cutting and serving.