Make this Lemon Rice with Mint Recipe as the perfect easy side dish. With lots of flavors and inexpensive ingredients, Lemon rice with mint is going to become one of your go to recipes for easy meals.
Lemon Rice with Mint Recipe
This lemon rice works with just about any main dish idea. Serve it with chicken, beef, pork or seafood. You can even serve this rice with ground meat and stir it into the rice. This creates a delicious meal.
- Butter- Always use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Garlic- Use minced garlic. You can use it preminced or mince it yourself.
- Yellow onion- You can also use a white onion
- Basmati rice- While basmati rice is best, you can substitute long grain if you need to.
- Vegetable broth- Chicken broth will also work in this recipe.
- Water- Water is needed to cook the rice.
- Lemon– You will need the lemon juice and the zest for this recipe. You might also want the lemon slices as garnish.
- Parsley- Fresh parsley is best.
- Mint- You want to use fresh mint
How to Make Lemon Rice with Mint
In a sauce pan, melt the butter and then add the garlic and the onion and cook it on medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the rice and combine it.
Next, pour the broth, the water, and lemon juice in and bring it to a boil.
Place a lid on the pan and turn the heat to low.
Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is fully absorbed.
Remove the rice from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Add the lemon zest, parsley and mint while fluffy the rice with a fork.
Move to a serving dish and garnish with lemon slices.
Do I Have to Use Fresh Mint?
While you can use dried mint, you are doing yourself an injustice by not using fresh mint. The taste is not the same when using dried mint.
What do I Serve This Rice With?
This rice makes a great side dish. Some of my favorite recipes are:
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Garlic Butter Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
- Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
- Spicy Bourbon BBQ Steak Kabobs
Lemon Rice with Mint
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice uncooked
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoons mint finely chopped
- Lemon slices for garnish if desired
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and toss to coat.
- Add the broth, the water and the lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Place the lid on the saucepan and turn heat down to low.
- Cook until the liquid has been fully absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let rest covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest, parsley and mint and fluff with a fork to combine.
- Transfer to serving dish and add a few slices of lemon on top for garnish.