Mint Chocolate Cake is a simple chocolate cake with layers of a delicious homemade mint chocolate chip frosting. Top it off with ganache, frosting as ice cream and a waffle cone.
Mint Chocolate Cake
What I love most about this mint chocolate dessert is that it looks so fancy with such little effort! I really enjoy being able to easily make a dessert that looks impressive. This cake starts with a moist chocolate cake and topped with a thick layer of mint buttercream with the perfect amount of mint flavor. Top with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream to take this cake to another level of perfection!
I love mint chocolate chip so much. It’s by far my favorite ice cream of all time. We have a few other awesome recipes you might enjoy like, Chocolate Mint Brownies, Layered Mint Chocolate Chip Cake and Andes Mint Fudge.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Triple Chocolate Cake Mix – any brand (or chocolate flavor, dark chocolate cake, etc…) will work. You will follow the directions from the box. You can also make a homemade chocolate cake recipe.
- Butter – you’ll need unsalted butter.
- Powdered sugar – this is used for the mint chocolate chip frosting.
- Chocolate chips – mini chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips are used.
- Vanilla extract
- Food coloring – green food coloring is used for the frosting.
- Heavy whipping cream – you’ll need this for the mint chocolate chip buttercream frosting and the chocolate ganache.
- Ice Cream Cones and Andes Mints – for decorating, but totally optional.
How To Make Mint Chocolate Cake
- Start by making your chocolate cake just like the box tells you. Easy so far, right?
- When it comes out of the oven and has had time to cool, use a serrated knife to slice the domes off of the top.
- This part is also super easy! Just mix all of the ingredients with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s combined and stiff peaks form.
- Then, we put it on the cake! Add one cup of frosting to each layer.
- Add the second cake layer and frost again, this time making sure to cover the whole cake including the sides.
- For the top, make a quick ganache with chocolate chips and heavy cream until the chocolate melts and pour over the top. Then sprinkle some Andes baking chips (these are like tiny pieces of Andes mints).
- For the “ice cream” and scoops of frosting around the sides and top with a cone.
Other Delicious Mint Chocolate Recipes:
- Mint Chocolate Cheesecake
- Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
- Andes Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pie
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mint Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 1 box triple chocolate cake mix use ingredients from the box directions
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Ingredients
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 box vanilla ice cream cones
- 1 bag Andes baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 cake pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined.
- Divide the batter between the baking pans.
- Bake according to box directions until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans.
- Using a cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes.
- Place one layer of cake onto the cake board.
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients together of the mint oreo frosting until stiff peaks form. About 5-7 minutes.
- Scoop about 1 cup of the chocolate chip frosting onto the first layer of cake.
- Place the second layer of cake on top.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 cups of frosting into another bowl and set aside.
- Using remaining frosting to frost entire cake.
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- In a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until simmering.
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl.
- Once the heavy whipping cream is steaming, pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for a minute.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Gradually pour the chocolate ganache into drizzles over the top of the cake.
- Allow the ganache to harden.
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop some frosting and place onto the top of the cake.
- Lightly shave the ice cream cones into a smaller size.
- Place cone onto the top of the ice cream scoop.
- Sprinkle some Andes chips around the top of the cake.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.