Mint Chocolate Chip Cake is a simple chocolate cake with layers of a delicious homemade mint chocolate chip frosting. Top it off with ganache, frosting as ice cream and a waffle cone.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
What I love most about this dessert is that it looks so fancy! I really enjoy being able to easily make a dessert that looks difficult. This is a fun creative cake to start with if you want to try your hand at something new and fun.
How To Make A Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
Start by making your chocolate cake just like the box tells you. Easy so far, right?
When it comes out of the oven and has had time to cool, use a bread knife to slice the domes off of the top.
Next up, we make the buttercream.
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
What You’ll Need:
- Mint Extract
- Chocolate Chips
- Food coloring
- Heavy Whipping Cream
This part is also super easy! Just mix all of the ingredients with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s combined and stiff peaks form.
Then, we put it on the cake! Add one cup of frosting to each layer.
Add the second cake layer and frost again, this time making sure to cover the whole cake including the sides.
For the top, make a quick ganache with chocolate chips and heavy cream and pour over the top. Then sprinkle some Andes baking chips (these are like tiny pieces of Andes mints).
For the “ice cream” and scoops of frosting around the sides and top with a cone.
Mint chocolate Chip Cake
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- 3 sheets of parchment paper
- 1 10 inch round cake board
- 2 1/2 C whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 C canola oil
- 2 boxes of triple chocolate cake mix
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Ingredients
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp mint extract
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
- 2 -4 drops of pale green gel food coloring
- 4-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 squeeze bottle
- 1 box of vanilla ice cream cones
- 1 bag of Andes baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degree's and spray all 3 cake pan with pam baking spray and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until combined
- Divide the batter between the three baking pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from cake pans
- Place the cakes onto a cutting board
- Using a cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes
- Place one layer of cake onto the cake board
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients together of the mint oreo frosting until stiff peaks form. About 5-7 minutes
- Scoop about 1 C of the chocolate chip frosting onto the first layer of cake
- Place the second layer of cake on top
- Scoop about 1 1/2 C of frosting into another bowl and set aside
- Using remaining frosting, frost entire cake
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- In a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream until simmering
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream is steaming, pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for a minute
- Whisk until smooth
- Gradually pour the chocolate ganache into drizzles over the top of the cake
- Allow the ganache to harden
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop some frosting and place onto the top of the cake
- Lightly shave the ice cream cones into a smaller size
- Place cone onto the top of the ice cream scoop
- Sprinkle some Andes chips around the top of the cake
- Cut into slices and enjoy