Ritz Cracker Thin Mints are a combination of crispy Ritz crackers and sweet mint chocolate. The perfect balance of salty and sweet in every bite make these irresistible. This is a super easy version of the beloved Girl Scout cookie recipe.
Homemade Thin Mints Made with Ritz Crackers
Ritz Cracker Thin Mints are the perfect treat for any occasion. Whether you are hosting a party for Christmas, going on a road trip, or simply want to satisfy your sweet tooth, these treats fit the bill. They are easy to make and can be stored for later, making them a convenient option for whenever you want a yummy snack.
You can even customize your Thin Mints by using different types of chocolate or adding toppings like crushed candy canes or sprinkles. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to cater to any taste preference. Plus, with the added crunch from the Ritz crackers, these Thin Mints are a satisfying and unique addition to any dessert table.
What You’ll Need
- Ritz crackers
- Chocolate frosting – use store bought or make our delicious chocolate buttercream.
- Mint extract
- Chocolate chips – make sure it’s a high quality brand like Ghirardelli. We use milk chocolate chips, but semi-sweet or even dark chocolate will work.
- Andes mints – chopped.
How to Make Ritz Crackers Thin Mints
Make the Cracker Sandwiches: Combine the frosting and mint extract together. Spread frosting over 1/2 of the crackers and place them together with another unfrosted cracker to make a sandwich.
Make the Chocolate Coating: Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments. Using a fork, dip crackers in the melted chocolate until it is fully covered. Let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the chocolate-covered cracker sandwich on parchment paper and sprinkle with chopped Andes mints.
Chill: Chill the cookies for 30 minutes before servings and let the chocolate harden.
Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t like store bought frosting, you can make your own. I love this 5-Minute Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Try using white chocolate or dark chocolate for a different flavor variation.
- If you don’t have Andes mints, you can use any other mint candy or omit the topping altogether.
Storing Homemade Thin Mint Cookies
These copycat Thin Mints can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. They can also be frozen for longer storage, just make sure to thaw them before serving.
FAQS for Ritz Crackers Thin Mints
Can I use other types of crackers instead of Ritz?
Yes, you can use any type of buttery cracker for this recipe. Some popular alternatives include Club crackers or shortbread cookies.
Can I use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet for the coating?
Absolutely! You can experiment with different types of chocolate for the coating to find your preferred taste. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar in the frosting if using a sweeter chocolate.
Can I make these cookies vegan?
Yes, you can easily make these Thin Mints vegan by using dairy-free chocolate chips and a non-dairy frosting. Make sure to check the ingredients of all products used to ensure they are suitable for a vegan diet.
- You can also add crushed candy cane pieces on top of the chocolate coating for an extra minty kick.
- For a fun twist, swap out the Ritz crackers for graham crackers or chocolate wafers.
- To make the cookies extra indulgent, you can drizzle some melted white chocolate or caramel on top of the chocolate coating.
More Cookie Recipes
Ritz Cracker Thin Mints
- Stir together the chocolate frosting and mint extract until combined.
- Spread the frosting over the bottom of 40 cookies, then press the remaining cookies on top to make a sandwich.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is melted.
- Dip each cracker sandwich in the melted chocolate until it’s fully coated.
- Place the coated cracker on a piece of parchment paper and immediately sprinkle a small amount of chopped Andes mints on top.
- When all the cookies have been coated, place them in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.