Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes are an easy and flavorful side dish. Soft sweet potatoes are smashed with a fork and then drizzled with garlic butter and parsley before being baked to golden brown perfection.
Easy Savory Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Move over mashed sweet potatoes, these savory Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes are about to become the new favorite sweet potato recipe! They are boiled and then baked to create a texture that’s crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Each piece of sweet potato perfection is topped with a spoonful of garlic butter and parsley, then finished off with a bit of freshly shredded parmesan, salt, and pepper. Super simple but oh so good!
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious superfood packed with vitamins A, B, C, D, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc. They also offer a decent amount of fiber and protein. I would definitely consider sweet potato recipes like this one a healthy side dish.
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Sweet potatoes – Be sure you’re using the bright orange sweet potatoes, which might be called ‘yams’ in your grocery store.
- Olive oil – Used to grease the baking sheet.
- Butter – Adds flavor and helps the garlic and parsley stick to the potatoes.
- Fresh garlic & parsley – The two main seasonings for these yummy smashed sweet potatoes.
- Salt & pepper – To taste.
- Fresh Parmesan cheese – The final touch, which adds just a slightly sharp, nutty flavor.
How to Make Smashed Sweet Potatoes
This easy sweet potato recipe comes together in just a few easy steps.
- Prepare the sweet potatoes. Remove the ends of the sweet potatoes then cut into 2-inch thick rounds. Bring to a boil in a large pot then boil until fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Smash the potatoes. Drain the sweet potatoes then place them on a baking sheet brushed with olive oil. Smash each sweet potato with a fork.
- Add the garlic butter. Combine the melted butter, garlic, and parsley. Spoon over the smashed sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips and variations for your smashed sweet potatoes.
- Don’t peel them. For this recipe, you won’t want to peel the sweet potatoes before boiling as you want the skins on when you smash them.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. Cook the sweet potatoes until you can easily pierce them with a fork but not until mushy. This usually takes about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Try different seasonings. Feel free to try different seasonings on your savory smashed sweet potatoes. Thyme is a great alternative to parsley and even salt, pepper, and olive oil can make a tasty combination.
What to Serve with the Sweet Potatoes
One thing I love about these smashed sweet potatoes is how versatile they are. They’re quick enough to prepare for a casual side dish, maybe in place of fries or a baked potato, but also fancy enough for a special dinner too. Here are a few of my favorite dishes to serve with these:
- Grilled or baked chicken
- With a tossed green salad
- Barbecued meats
- Pork chops
- Turkey breast
- Mississippi Pot Roast
How to Store Leftovers
Keep the leftover garlic butter sweet potatoes in an airtight food storage container or in a zip-top bag. Refrigerate for up to three days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave in 30-second intervals.
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Anti Inflammatory Sweet Potato Muffins
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Butter
Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off the sweet potatoes, then cut each potato into 2-inch thick rounds. Place the potatoes in a large pot of water and heat over high heat until boiling. Boil the sweet potatoes until fork-tender in the center, about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Drain the sweet potatoes, then place them on a large baking sheet that has been brushed with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use a fork to smash the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, minced garlic, and chopped parsley. Spoon the mixture onto the smashed sweet potatoes. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and the grated Parmesan cheese onto each sweet potato.
- Bake at 425F for 15-18 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown on the bottom.
- Cool slightly before serving.