When it comes to Thanksgiving pies, you have to have this Sweet Potato Meringue Pie. This pie is filled with the most amazing sweet potato filling and is topped with a luscious marshmallow meringue topping. If you are looking for the best sweet potato pie recipe, you have found it.
Sweet Potato Meringue Pie
Your friends and family are going to absolutely love this amazing sweet potato pie this holiday. This pie is a truly special treat and no one has to know how easy it is to make. one bite of this incredible pie, and you are going to want to make it over and over.
- Pre-made pie crust- You can buy pre-made for quicker results.
- Sweet potato- You will need them mashed.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt.
- Eggs– Make sure to use your eggs at room temp.
- Light brown sugar– This will add a richness to the pie.
- Sugar- The best desserts have sugar in them.
- Sweetened condensed milk– You can use cream of coconut as a substitute.
- Evaporated milk- This will give your pie a creamy texture without the added sweetness.
- Salt– The salt brings out the flavors in your recipe.
- Ground nutmeg, Ground cinnamon, Ground ginger– These are the spices associated with sweet potatoes.
- Grated orange zest- This will add a distinctive flavor and smell to your pie.
- Vanilla extract- Always use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Marshmallow Crème- This will be used for your topping.
- Cream of tartar- This will help your eggs make stiff peaks and keep their shape.
How to Make a Sweet Meringue Potato Pie
Set your oven to 400 degrees.
Use a fork to poke your potatoes and put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until they become tender.
Let your potatoes cool down, then peel the outer layer off and take out any darker spots.
Place your potatoes, butter, eggs, sugars, milk, and all spices in a standing mixer and beat until smooth and combined.
Add your mixture to the pre-made crust.
Bake your ingredients for 50 minutes in the oven or until set.
Take out of the pan and then place on a wire rack to cool until its room temperature.
When the pie is completely cooled, put it in the fridge overnight.
How to make Marshmallow Meringue
Add your marshmallow fluff to a large bowl and set aside.
Beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until foamy in a standing mixer.
Slowly mix in the sugar into the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
Carefully fold in the egg whites into the fluff until completely combined.
Use a spoon to scoop the meringue onto the finished pie.
Flip your spoon and use the back of it to create peaks.
Set the oven to 350 degrees or use a kitchen torch.
Place pie in the center rack for 5-8 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown
Then, using a kitchen torch, gently toast the meringue.
Let the meringue cool completely.
Can I Use Yams?
For this Sweet Potato Pie recipe, you want to use sweet potatoes as the main ingredient. Sweet Potatoes are very healthy and perfect for making pies. However, you can use yams as a substitute because both sweet potatoes and yams are often interchangeable.
What is Meringue?
The meringue on this Potato Pie is quite delicious. Meringue in this recipe is beaten egg whites mixed with salt and tartar to create a formed stiff peak topping. Meringue is sweet and perfect for topping off desserts.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Anti-Inflammatory Muffins
Sweet Potato Meringue Pie
- 1 9 inch pre-made pie crust
- 3 C mashed sweet potato About 4-6 medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter melted
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/3 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool, then peel and remove any dark spots.
- In a standing mixture, beat the sweet potatoes, butter, eggs, sugars, milk, and all the spices until combined and smooth
- Pour the pie filling into the pre-made pie crust
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool to room temp.
- Once cooled, place pie into the fridge for overnight
- In a large bowl, scoop the marshmallow fluff into the bowl and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tarter until foamy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar into the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the marshmallow fluff until fully incorporated
- Spoon the marshmallow meringue onto the cooled pie
- Using the back of a spoon, create peaks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or you can use a kitchen flame torch
- Using the oven, place pie in middle rack for 5-8 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned
- Using a flame torch, lightly toast the meringue
- Allow meringue to cool before serving
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.