You are going to love making this caramel apple upside down cake this Fall. It’s like having two desserts in one – soft cake with cinnamon and caramelized apples. When you flip it over, the juices from the topping go into the cake, making it really tasty and moist. And the best part is, you don’t need fancy decorations because the garnish is baked right into the cake!
Apple Upside Down Cake
This Apple Cake recipe is sure to make everyone fall in love with the first bite because of how delicious it is! This recipe is soft, fluffy, and topped with a tasty caramel sauce that will just melt in your mouth. Upside Down Cake is a great way to make a impressive dessert in no time.
You should definitely try this homemade apple upside down cake. If you haven’t had it before, you’re really missing out. Once you taste it, you’ll probably love it and want it often. People often ask me for this cake because it’s so good.
Watch The Recipe Video!
What You Need:
- Butter– Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Brown Sugar– This will add richness to the cake.
- Cinnamon– This will be used for additional flavoring.
- Vanilla– Use pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Apples– You can use Granny Smith Apples for this recipe.
- Flour– Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking Powder– This will allow the recipe to rise in the oven.
- Nutmeg– This will give the cake a wonderful aroma.
- Salt– This will bring out the flavors in the recipe.
- Sugar– Granulated sugar is always used in the best recipes.
- Eggs– Use these at room temperature.
- Milk– You can use whole or 2 % for this recipe.
How to Make Apple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- Prep the pan: To start, set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line the inside and outside of a 9-inch springform pan. Doing this will keep the cake from leaking any of the caramel mixtures. Next, place the prepared pan onto a cookie sheet.
- Caramel Sauce: First, add the butter and brown sugar into a saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine until melted. Then, mix continuously for 2 minutes until it thickens, then add in the cinnamon and vanilla and whisk to combine. Next, add the mixture into the prepared pan. Lastly, put the apple wedges in a design on top of the caramel sauce, then set aside.
- Make the Spice Cake: To begin, add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a medium bowl and combine using a whisk. First, add the butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla into a large bowl and beat until fluffy and combined. Secondly, pour in the milk and beat until smooth. Thirdly, add the cake batter into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth it evenly. Bake.
- Finishing the cake: After letting the cake cool, remove the springform pan carefully. Put the cake on a serving platter and take it out of the pan. Serve alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How to Store It?
Storing this recipe is very simple to do. You can place the recipe into an air-tight container for the best storage method. You can decide to keep this at room temperature, in the fridge, or in the freezer. Storing in the fridge or freezer can make the recipe last longer.
What are the Best Apples for This Cake?
When making any kind of apple dessert, like this caramel apple upside down cake, you want to use apples that are good for baking. I also prefer a tart apple when I make desserts. I use gala apples in this recipe but you can also use granny smith apples, Honeycrisp, gala, or Pink Lady. Make sure whatever apples you use are baking apples because otherwise the apples will either not soften or will soften too much.
Variations for Apple Upside Down Cake
You can change up the apple upside down cake in a few different ways:
- Fruit Swap: Instead of apples, you can use other fruits like pears, peaches, or even pineapple to create different flavors.
- Nutty Delight: Add chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans to the caramel topping for a crunchy twist.
- Spice it Up: Experiment with different spices, like nutmeg or ginger, to give it extra flavor.
- Caramel Flavor: Instead of regular caramel, try using flavored caramel sauces, like salted caramel or butterscotch.
- Choco-Apple Fusion: Sprinkle chocolate chips or chunks over the caramelized fruit before adding the batter for a delightful combination.
- Coconut Infusion: Add shredded coconut to the batter or sprinkle it on top of the fruit for a tropical twist.
More Upside Down Recipes:
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
- Apple Cinnamon Roll Upside Down Cake
- Southern Pecan Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Monkey Bread
Apple Upside Down Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9in a springform pan with parchment paper.
- Line the springform pan on the outside with foil to avoid leakage from the caramel mixture.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Using a pot, combine the butter and brown sugar and whisk until melted.
- Continue to cook while stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Whisk in the cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into the springform pan.
- Place the apple slices in a decorative form into the caramel sauce. Set aside.
- Using a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until combined and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined and the batter is smooth.
- Beat in the milk until combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool on the counter for a few minutes.
- Carefully remove the springform from the pan.
- Place the cake onto a serving plate and remove the cake pan from the cake.