Millionaire Shortbread Bars are a delicious dessert layered with a soft shortbread crust, creamy caramel filling, chocolate and flaky sea salt.
This millionaires shortbread dessert has layers that will melt in your mouth with every bite. The filling and chocolate blend so well that you will fall in love at the first bite. This easy shortbread recipe is so good and is perfect for any occasion.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will be using granulated sugar for the crust along with butter and all-purpose flour. Then, you will need light brown sugar and corn syrup for the filling.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: This will do a good job of adding flavor and color to the filling layer.
Baking Bars: For the topping, you will need to use semi-sweet baking bars and flaky salt to bring out the flavor.
How To Make Millionaire Shortbread
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line a 9 x 13-inch pan and lightly coat with cooking spray. In a bowl of a standing mixer, combine the butter and sugar using a paddle attachment for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Put in the flour and salt and combine again until there are no dry patches. Push the dough into the pan and place into the of for 23-28 minutes to bake until light brown on the edges and the middle forms a crust. Place a toothpick to check for doneness. Take out and allow them to cool thoroughly.
Step 2. In a medium-sized sauce pot, add the butter, brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup and combine regularly over medium-low heat. Allow it to come to a simmer before switching the heat to low for 5 minutes and mixing so it doesn’t burn. Be careful to not have it boil and pop bubbles that could burn you. If it beings to move rapidly, take it away from the heat for a few seconds before placing back on the heat. Take it off the heat after 5 minutes and continue to mix for another 4 minutes to cool it down. Add on top of the prepared crust and set in the freezer to chill for 2 hours.
Step 3. In a heat-safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and butter and melt in 15-second increments in the microwave. Mix in-between each interval until smooth. Add on top of the filling and spread evenly with a spatula. Set in the fridge for chill for 2 hours.
Step 4. Lift the bars out of the pan by the parchment paper and cut into bars and top with flaky sea salt. Serve and enjoy!
How To Store Millionaire Bars?
Place the leftovers into an airtight container for the best storage method. These can be stored in the fridge as well as left at room temperature.
Can I Freeze Millionaire Shortbread?
Yes! You can store the leftovers in the freezer. You will need to store the bars in a freezer-safe container. These can last for up to 6 months in the freezer.
More Bar Recipes:
Millionaire Shortbread Bars
For the crust:
For the filling:
For the topping:
- 12 oz. baking bars semi-sweet, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter unsalted
- flakey sea salt for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- Place the butter and granulated sugar into the body of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, and cream together for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and sea salt, and stir it in until combined with no dry patches.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 23-28 minutes until lightly golden brown along the edges, the center of the crust appears dry, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- To make the filling place the butter, brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup into a medium-sized sauce pot. Place over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Gently simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so nothing burns on the bottom. You really have to be careful and make sure it doesn’t boil because a bubble may pop and burn you. If it looks like it is starting to simmer more rapidly, take off the heat for a few seconds while continuing to stir, then place it back on the heat.
- After 5 minutes, take it off the heat and continue to stir for about 4 minutes to cool it down slightly. Pour over the crust evenly. Place in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Add the chopped chocolate and butter into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals stirring in between until smooth. Spread the chocolate on top of the filling. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
- Use the parchment paper to help lift the bars out of the baking dish. Cut into squares and sprinkle with flakey sea salt if using, serve immediately.