Baked Zucchini Spears are a perfect side dish for chicken, fish, steak, burgers, or an Italian entree. Season fresh zucchini with garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper then roast it in the oven with fresh Parmesan cheese and olive oil until tender and browned.
Baked Zucchini Spears
Zucchini is a really fantastic veggie to add to any meal. It’s so versatile and can be incredibly delicious when seasoned and cooked well. Baking is such an easy way to make zucchini–pop it in the oven while you prepare the rest of the meal and in less than 20 minutes it’s ready!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Baked Zucchini Spears (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Fresh zucchini – use medium sized zucchini
- Olive oil
- Fresh Parmesan cheese – be sure to use a block of fresh Parmesan cheese and grate it right before making the zucchini.
How to Make Baked Zucchini Spears
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Next, wash the zucchini then cut each into quarters for a total of 8 zucchini spears. Rub the minced garlic and olive oil over each zucchini spear, then place them skin side down on the prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle the zucchini with oregano, salt, pepper, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake the zucchini at 425ºF for 15 minutes until tender, then broil for 3-4 minutes until browned.
You can serve the Baked Zucchini Spears with a side of warmed marinara sauce for dipping.
Cheese – If you’d like to use mozzarella cheese instead of Parmesan, add it about halfway through the baking time.
Garlic Powder – If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, skip it and instead sprinkle 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder over the zucchini.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep the leftover zucchini in an airtight container or zip top bag in the refrigerator for up to two days.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Baked Zucchini Spears
- 2 medium sized zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Wash the zucchini then cut each into quarters for a total of 8 zucchini spears.
- Rub the minced garlic and olive oil over each zucchini spear, then place them skin side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with oregano, salt, pepper, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the zucchini at 425F for 15 minutes until tender, then broil for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Serve the zucchini warm.