Chocolate Rum Balls are my absolute favorite for the Holidays! Only a few simple ingredients and everyone will rave over this delicious no-bake Christmas treat.
Best Rum Balls Recipe
These festive little chocolate balls are flavored with rum and coated in powdered sugar. Always the first thing gobbled up at any Holiday party. I usually make a double batch of these because they are the most requested.
Rum balls actually improve with flavor when they sit for a few days.
What are Rum Balls?
Rum Balls are a classic candy for a good reason. Super easy to make, they taste amazing and makes perfect Christmas gifts that everyone will love! These are made with vanilla cookie crumbs, walnuts, chocolate chips, confectioners’ sugar, and dark rum. Mix everything in a bowl and roll into balls, then you just give them a quick toss in powdered sugar.
How To Make Rum Balls
Ingredients you will need:
- dark chocolate chips
- powdered sugar
- corn syrup
- dark rum
- kosher salt
- Nilla wafers
Store these delicious chocolate balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days. Make sure to re-roll the balls into powdered sugar before serving.
- Make sure you crush the walnuts finely. At least this is the way that I prefect. It leaves the balls with a smooth texture, but you still get all the flavors.
- You can use any type of Rum for this recipe. Coconut rum would be good or spiced rum, etc… Use whatever you prefer.
- Cocoa powder can also be used to roll the balls in as well as powdered sugar. Rotating these also looks very nice on a Holiday cookie tray. Rolling in chocolate sprinkles or coconut is another option.
- Using different flavored cookies is an option as well. We love the taste of Nilla wafers in this recipe, but you could get creative and use gingersnaps or Oreos.
- These do have alcohol in them so make sure to keep them away from the kids. These also will have a rum taste to them. You can adjust to your liking.
Rum Balls Recipe
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup powdered sugar divided
- 2 Tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups crushed Nilla wafers 11 ounces
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- Place the chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate for 30-seconds at full power. Stir then continue cooking 30 seconds at a time stirring between each cook time until all the chips have fully melted.
- Sift 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar over the melted chocolate. Add in the corn syrup, rum and salt. Stir with a whisk until until fully combined and smooth.Add in the crushed wafers and the walnuts. Stir with a wooden spoon until fully combined. The mixture will look crumbly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup of powdered sugar in a separate bowl and set aside. Form 1-inch balls with the chilled mixture using your hands. The mixture will be a bit crumbly and hard but will smooth out when rolling.Roll a rum ball in the powdered sugar and repeat with the rest of the mixture.