Are you a Cherry lover? You are going to love these Black Forest Brownies. These chocolate brownies are packed with cherries and topped with Fudge!
A couple of the very best cherry recipes on the blog are the Black Forest Cherry Cake and Cherry Fluff Salad. One uses cherry pie filling (just like the recipe below, and the other uses Maraschino cherries.
Black Forest Brownies
One thing I love about this recipe is that it uses cherry pie filling. I usually keep a few cans of various pie fillings in the cupboard because you can use it for so many different things. Cherry and apple pie filling are the ones I really like.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- mini chocolate chips
- Cherry Pie Filling
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
How To Make Black Forest Brownies
In this recipe, you’ll need to drain the cherry pie filling because we don’t want any of the “gel” getting into the mix. I encourage you not to throw that good stuff away, though.
You can save the leftover pie filling for another recipe. Simply spoon it into a freezer bag or other freezer safe container and freeze it. It should last for 3 months or so, which means it’s a good idea to label the bag with the date you freeze it.
You can also buy blueberry pie filling, strawberry rhubarb, plain strawberry, mixed berry, blackberry, pineapple, and even raisin pie filling. Not sure what I would do with raisin pie filling! Do you have any good recipes that use it?
Heavy Cream Tips
When you buy heavy cream, for some reason people want to shake it before they use it. Feel free to do that, but beware that you’re going to make it thicker before you even pour it out to use it.
I’ve been known to shake heavy cream to the point of almost not needing a mixer! Learn from my mistakes.
In this recipe, you’ll mix the cream with chocolate. Be sure to heat it up in short spurts in the microwave or it will be completely unusable. I know it may seem like wasted time to keep heating that heavy cream mixture that way, but it’s worth it. Be patient and it will be rewarded!
Ganache is a gift from France. It’s a diverse delight made of chocolate and cream. You can use it in lots of recipes as a filling, glaze, icing or sauce. If you change the ratio of heavy cream to chocolate, you can even make truffles that are amazing.
You can also add flavor to it using extracts.
The trick to great ganache is to whisk it correctly. The goal is to make certain it’s really whisked well until it’s beautifully smooth. Always use small circles with your whisk, going in the same direction. (For example, clockwise.)
Cherry Pie Brownie Cheesecake Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted (cooled slightly)
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs room temp
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cherry Cheesecake Filling Ingredient
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1 large egg room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/2 can cherry pie filling 21 oz can
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Scoop 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan and spread. Set aside.
Cherry Cheesecake Filling Directions
- Using the electric mixer beat the cream cheese, egg, vanilla, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixer on top of the brownie batter.
- Gently spread this over the brownie batter.
- Scoop dollops of the cherry pie filling on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Gently spread the cherry pie filling.
- Scoop the rest of the brownie batter on top of the cherry pie layer.Gently spread the brownie batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temp. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours before cutting.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.