There are some pies that just classics. This homemade Blueberry Pie recipe is certainly one of them. With a delicious filling that beats anything from a can, you are going to love this incredible pie recipe.
This Blueberry Pie is easily the most delicious dessert! Most of the ingredients in this recipe, you may already have in your household. This Blueberry pie comes out so soft and tasty, you will want to devour it all by yourself. Just like this recipe, this Lemon Meringue Pie and Strawberry Lemon Easy Chess Pie have great sweet and tangy flavorings, so these are just other recipes that may fit well with your taste palette.
- Pie Crust- You can use refrigerated pie crusts or use our No-Roll Pie Crust recipe.
- Blueberries- Use fresh blueberries for the recipe.
- Sugar- Every Dessert recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Cornstarch- This will help with the structure of the pie.
- Lemon Juice- Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavoring.
- Cinnamon- This will be used as an additional spice.
- Salt- Use this to bring out the flavoring in the recipe.
- Butter- Use unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Egg- Use these at room temperature.
- Milk- You will need whole milk for this recipe.
- Decorating Sugar- This will be added to the crust.
How to Make Blueberry Pie
Begin the recipe by setting the oven to 400 degrees. You will be using a sheet tray that you will place on the lower rack of the oven.
Carefully put one of the pie crusts into a nine-inch by two-inch deep pie plate and allow the crust to overlap the sides. Put it into the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the pie.
Add the blueberries sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sea salt into a large bowl and mix together until fully coated, then set aside.
Next, place to second cross on a clean work surface and roll it out. Then, you will be slicing the crossed into one-inch strips. You can use a ruler to measure out the correct lines, then set them aside.
Add the blueberry filling into the pie crust.
Begin laying out the pie crust strips, you will need about five of them. Then, lay them out parallel to each other with a bit of a gap on the pie.
To make this process easier, you will want longer strips for the center and shorter strips for the edge.
Next, you will want to fold every other pie strip over itself, so, it will reveal the filling underneath. Then, place one strip of the pie crust on top. Begin folding the strip’s over and this will make part of a weave. Continue this process with the rest of the strips, then continue until the whole pie has lattice.
If you have trouble following the directions, you can refer to a detailed tutorial with visual instructions.
Start stuffing the edges of each strip under the bottom of the pie. Then, use a pie crimper to seal the edges.
Add the egg and milk into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Then, using a pastry brush the mixture over the pie crust. Next, add some decorating sugar onto the crust.
Finally, take the prepared pie and place it into the oven to bake for 20 minutes. When the time is up, you will want to create a foil tent to place over the pie. You will then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes until the crust is a light brown, and the filling is bubbly.
Removes the pie from the oven and lets it sit out on the counter for 3-4 hours at room temperature until the filling is set.
You can serve the pie as is or top it with some of your favorite toppings. I recommend vanilla ice cream!
Does Blueberry Pie Need to be Refrigerated?
Blueberry pie does not need to be placed in the fridge. This recipe does not contain anything that will go bad too quickly if left out. Although, storing it in the fridge will help with the shelf life of the recipe.
Do I Use Frozen or Fresh Blueberries?
This Blueberry Pie uses fresh blueberries in the recipe. Fresh is always best because it allows the recipe to have the best-enhanced flavoring. But, if you do not have fresh, you can use frozen.
More Pie recipes:
- 2 refrigerator pie crusts or use our No-Roll Pie Crust Recipe
- 5 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter small diced, optional
- 1 large egg
- splash of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon decorators sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a sheet tray on the lower rack in the oven. Gently place one of the pie crusts into a 9inchx2inch deep pie plate with the crust overlapping the sides. Place into the fridge with the other crust until ready to assemble.
- In a large bowl, stir together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sea salt until coated, set aside.
- Roll out the second crust onto a clean work surface. Cut the crust into 1-inch strips, I like to use a ruler to help make straight lines. Set aside.
- Take the pie plate out of the fridge and fill it with the blueberry filling. Dot with the butter if using. Take 5 of the pie crust strips and lay them out parallel to each other with a small gap on top of the pie. You want to use the longer strips in the center of the pie and the shorter ones towards the edge. Take every other strip and fold it up over itself so the filling is exposed under those pieces. Lay 1 strip of pie crust on top. Fold the strips back over so you now have part of a weave. Do this process again but with the remaining strips. Repeat until the entire pie has lattice. Refer to the tutorial for detailed visual instructions.
- Tuck the edges of the strips under the edge of the bottom pie crust. Crimp the edges around the entire pie.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. Brush this mixture over the exposed pie crust. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400*F. At the 20 minute mark, add a foil tent over the pie and lower the heat to 350°F. Continue to bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let sit out at room temperature for 3-4 hours until the filling has set. Serve as is or with your favorite toppings.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.