Buttermilk Coffee Cake
This Buttermilk Coffee Cake is absolutely amazing. This delicious buttermilk cake has a nutty streusel topping. This cake is perfect for get togethers, brunch or dessert. It is also a fabulous gift idea.
Spanish Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is one of those desserts that I don’t feel guilty eating for breakfast. It is the perfect combination. Buttermilk coffee cake is a special treat that is fantastic while enjoying a hot cup of coffee.
- All-purpose flour- All purpose flour is best but self-rising flour will also work.
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives extra flavor to the streusel
- White sugar White sugar is used as well as brown sugar.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon adds so much flavor to the coffee cake
- Canola oil- Vegetable oil can also be used
- Walnuts- Dice the walnuts very small in order to make the streusel.
- Buttermilk- Buttermilk helps to keep the cake moist and helps it to rise.
- Egg- It is best to use room temperature eggs.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour you do not need baking powder.
- Baking soda- Baking soda also helps the cake to rise.
How to Make Buttermilk Coffee Cake
In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and oil.
In another bowl, take 3/4 the flour mixture and add chopped nuts to it (for streusel topping) and set aside.
Next, add baking powder and baking soda.
Add the buttermilk and egg. Stir it until it is combined and be sure not to overmix.
Add the batter to a lightly greased pan and top it with the reserved streusel topping.
Bake the cake for 35 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
Let the cake cool down for 5-10 minutes.
Cut, serve and enjoy!!!
Why is There No Coffee in Coffee Cake?
Coffee cake isn’t made with coffee but it made to be eaten with coffee. Many people like to enjoy a cup of coffee after dinner and with dessert. This coffee cake is perfect to enjoy while drinking coffee whether it is after dinner or if it is as a morning treat.
Does All Coffee Cake Have a Streusel Topping?
Most coffee cakes have a streusel topping and sometimes there is a streusel layer inside of the cake. If someone didn’t want the topping or didn’t love something that is in, you can skip the topping.
More Brunch Recipes
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- The Best Strawberry Mimosa Recipe
- Crescent Bacon Breakfast Ring
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Crescent Ring
Buttermilk Coffee Cake
- 2 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 3/4 Cup white sugar
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup canola oil
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 TSP baking powder
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1 Cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and place a rack in the center of the oven.
- Lightly grease a 9"x13" baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated white sugar, and cinnamon; then add oil.
- In a separate bowl take 3/4 cup of the flour mixture and add chopped nuts, set aside (for streusel topping).
- Next, stir in baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix in buttermilk and egg until just well incorporated.
- Pour batter into baking pan and sprinkle with reserved streusel topping.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside for the cake to cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!!!