Sheet pan dinners are the best, they’re so easy to make and require very little clean up. This Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner is such a delicious meal that you can whip up in no time. It’s perfect for when you don’t have much time to cook or just need something quick and delicious!
Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
This Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner is so amazing and filled with ingredients like lemon juice, lemon zest, baby yellow potatoes, asparagus, and other fresh seasonings. This chicken is very easy to put together and just requires you to season your veggies and chicken and bake in the oven. If this chicken recipe meets your expectations and you want to try another delicious recipe, then this Easy Cranberry Chicken and Easy Chicken Spaghetti Recipe are two other great recipes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken- You will need thighs and drumsticks with the skin-on and bone-in.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in the recipe.
- Lemon Pepper- This will add a tangy flavor to the chicken.
- Lemon Zest and Juice- Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing them.
- Thyme- Fresh is always best and you will need it chopped.
- Canola Oil– You can also substitute this with vegetable oil.
- Potatoes- You will need baby yellow ones for this recipe.
- Asparagus- This will be an additional vegetable for the recipe.
- Lemon Slices- This can be used for garnish if desired.
How to make a Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Set the oven to 425 degrees and use pam to grease a sheet pan or use canola oil and brush onto the pan.
- Take out the chicken and rinse it well, then use paper towels to pat dry.
- Add the salt, lemon pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme into a small bowl and combine to make a paste.
- Add some oil on top of the chicken and rub it in to coat the entire chicken pieces.
- Put the paste onto the chicken and rub it in as well to fully coat.
- Place an oven-safe rack onto a sheet pan and place the chicken on top.
- Prepare your potatoes by cutting them into quarters. Add some oil along with salt and lemon pepper. Toss the ingredients to coat the potatoes.
- Arrange the potatoes onto the prepared pan around where you put the chicken. If desired or needed, you can use a separate pan for the veggies.
- Place all the prepared ingredients into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut the woody base of the asparagus of each spear. Rinse the asparagus well and pat dry. Add some oil and the seasonings you used on the potatoes or the chicken and toss to coat the asparagus.
- When the chicken and potatoes cooked for 20 minutes, add the prepared asparagus to the pan. You will then want to cook the recipe for another 10-15 minutes.
- Check the chicken to see if it’s fully cooked after the total cook time of 30 minutes. The chicken should come out with crispy skin and should have turned slightly brown with the internal temperature being 165 degrees. Cook the chicken for as long as need until done.
- Take the chicken off the pan and serve right away along with the vegetables.
What Kind of Vegetables Can Be Used in this Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner?
The vegetables used in this recipe are baby potatoes and asparagus. There are other veggies you can use instead if you want. You can use veggies like carrots, green beans, broccoli, and more.
Can I Use Chicken Breast?
For this recipe, it is preferred to use chicken thighs and drumsticks. This will mean that you will be using chicken with the bone-in and skin-in. However, if you want to, you can switch it out with some chicken breast instead.
More Chicken Recipes
- Cheesy Smothered Chicken with Bacon
- Crockpot Crack Chicken with Bacon
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Crack Chicken Dip
Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- 8-10 Chicken thighs and drumsticks skin on and bone-in preferred – about 4 oz. each
- 3 teaspoons coarse sea salt divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon pepper divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 4-5 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 24 oz. 1.5 pounds Baby yellow potatoes, sliced lengthwise
- ½ pound fresh asparagus
- Additional lemon slices for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush liberally with canola oil.
- Remove chicken from packaging. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1 tablespoon lemon pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and chopped thyme to make a paste.
- Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of canola oil over the chicken pieces and rub to completely coat them. Rub the seasoning paste onto both sides of all of the chicken. Place the prepared chicken on an oven-safe rack set in a large sheet pan.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise (or into quarters if the potatoes are larger). Drizzle with 1-2tablespoons of oil and sprinkle with an additional teaspoon of salt and lemon pepper. Toss to coat the potatoes.
- Spread the potatoes on the sheet pan around the rack with chicken. If necessary, use a second sheet pan for the potatoes and asparagus.
- Place pan with chicken and potatoes into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the asparagus by snapping the woody base of the stem from each asparagus spear. Rinse and air dry the asparagus. Drizzle with a bit of oil and season with any of the seasonings you used on the potatoes and chicken (salt, pepper, lemon zest, and/or lemon pepper are all good choices).
- After the chicken and potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, add the prepared asparagus to the panto cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes of total bake time, check the chicken for doneness – the skin should be crispy and beginning to brown and the internal temperature should reach 165°F. Continue cooking until the chicken is done.
- When chicken is cooked (check the internal temperature to ensure it has reached 165°F, remove sheet pan from oven.
- Serve immediately with lemon slices if desired.