Christmas Cookies in a Jar is the perfect gift to give to family and friends this Holiday season. Incredibly easy to make resulting in delicious soft and chewy Christmas M&M cookies!
Easy Christmas Cookies in a Jar Recipe
My favorite part about the holiday season is gift-giving. I love spreading joy to my family and friends in any way I can. This is why I am a huge fan of Christmas parties and get-togethers. These Christmas M&M cookies in a jar are the perfect homemade gift. They are inexpensive to make, but they show someone that you care enough to take the time to make it. I love adding decorations like ribbons to the jars to make them extra special.
These Christmas cookies are so yummy and easy to make. All of the dry ingredients are premeasured, so you do not have to be a baker to perfect these cookies. Each jar will include instructions and the wet ingredients needed, so there’s no guessing with the recipe!
What You’ll Need
Basic baking staples are needed to prepare these jars. For the recipient to make the cookies, only 3 ingredients are required. It’s simpler than ever to make these as gifts.
For Cookie Mix in a Jar:
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Brown Sugar: I like to use light brown sugar.
- Christmas M&M’s
- Wide Mouth Mason Jar: A wide-mouth jar will make it easier to layer the ingredients.
- Tag for instructions: a link is listed in the recipe box “notes” below.
For Baking the Cookies:
- Unsalted Butter: Be sure to melt the butter before adding.
- Vanilla Extract
- Cookie Mix in a Jar Ingredients
How to Make Cookies in a Jar Recipe
It only takes a few minutes to mix and layer the ingredients for this cookie recipe, making it quick and easy.
- Combine Dry Ingredients. Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Add to Jar. Carefully pour the flour mixture into the bottom of a mason jar using a funnel.
- Add M&Ms. Slowly place the M&Ms on top of the flour mixture. Using a spoon helps them from sinking.
- Top With Both Sugars. Pour the brown sugar evenly on top of the M&M’s layer, then the white granulated sugar on top of that.
- Seal and Decorate. Add your favorite festive fabric to the top of the jar and seal with the lid. Decorate with ribbon if you choose.
How to Bake the Christmas Cookies
All of the dry ingredients are measured and ready to go. You only have to prep the wet ingredients, combine them, and bake!
- Prep Oven and Cookie Sheet. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix Wet Ingredients. Combine unsalted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add Cookie Jar Ingredients. Fold in the ingredients from the Christmas cookie in a jar. Be careful not to crush the M&Ms.
- Chill. Place the dough into the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour before baking.
- Scoop Dough. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of cookie dough with a cookie scoop. Roll it into a ball and place it on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Bake. Place the sheet into the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges are set and lightly browned.
- Cool. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips and Tricks
- Cut the fabric for the jars into 7-inch circles. It’s the perfect size for sealing the jars and covering the empty space at the top.
- Customize this cookie mix in a jar for any holiday by changing the color of the M&Ms. You can also substitute it with white chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips.
- Substitute the egg with ¼ cup of unsweetened apple sauce.
- The Christmas cookie mix will stay fresh in the sealed jar for up to 3 months.
- Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature.
More Christmas Treat Recipes
Christmas Cookies in a Jar
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a funnel, add the flour mixture to the bottom of the jar.
- Carefully place Christmas M&M’s on top of flour mixture. Using a spoon helps gently place M&M’s on top of the flour so they do not sink into the flour.
- Next add brown sugar on top of M&M’s, then top with white sugar.
- Place Christmas fabric or any kind of material you want to use on top of the jar and seal with the jar’s metal lid and decorate with ribbon.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
For making tags – print this recipeon card stock, cut and attach around the jar using a ribbon.
Instructions for baking cookies:Ingredients: ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cookies in a Jar ingredients Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, mix together unsalted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Carefully fold in ingredients from Cookies in a Jar and mix until just combined. Be careful when mixing together to not crush M&M’s. The colors will bleed some into the dough.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour before baking.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough and roll to make dough balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or until the edges of the cookie are set.
- I found it is best to cut fabric to a 7-inch circle for sealing the jars, this gives it some room to give the jar some decoration. This will also help cover up the small space at the top of the jar that is empty.
- You can substitute the Christmas M&M’s with chocolate chips, or regular M&M’s.
- These are great to make for any holiday, just substitute for the color of M&M’s to match the holiday.
- If you do not wish to add the egg, substitute it with ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Cookie mix will last up to 3 months in a sealed jar.