Hamburger Cupcakes are adorable treats that look like little burger sliders made with cupcakes, brownies and colorful ‘toppings.’ Perfect for parties or outdoor Summer BBQ’s.
Imagine sinking your teeth into a delightful hamburger cupcake creation. The moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes make up the ‘buns’, but what sets them apart is the sprinkle of sesame seeds on top, creating that authentic burger bun appearance. As you take a bite, you encounter a rich chocolate ‘patty’. This patty is a delicious brownie. There’s a generous dollop of red frosting cleverly imitating the ‘ketchup’ you’d find on a classic burger. But wait, there’s more! To mimic the crunch and freshness of lettuce, we’ve taken shredded coconut and dyed it green, creating a playful and tasty topping that adds texture to every bite.
What You’ll Need
- The Buns:The buns are made using a yellow cake mix and the items that you need to make the cake mix. Sesame seeds decorate the buns.
- The Patty and inside: To make the patty and the inside, combine the brownie mix with the necessary ingredients for the batter. Mix in chocolate chips, vanilla frosting, and add yellow, red, and green food coloring to achieve the desired colors. Finally, incorporate coconut into the mixture.
How to Make Hamburger Cupcakes
- Create the Toppings: Color the coconut green. Place the frosting in 2 bowls, and color one red and the other yellow. Place the frosting into piping bags.
- Make the Burgers and Buns Batter: Follow the yellow cake mix instructions and make the batter. Follow the brownie box and make the batter. Take the yellow cake batter and fill the cupcake pans 4/3 of the way full and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Spread the brownie batter in a baking sheet and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake: Bake the cupcakes and the brownies until they are done and come out with little crumbs. Allow to cool completely.
- Assemble: Cut the cupcakes in half so there is a top and a bottom for the bun. Cut the brownies using a circle cutter. On the bottom bun, add some “mustard, then add the brownie burger, add some “ketchup”. Then sprinkle some coconut on as lettuce and place the top on the burger. Repeat for each hamburger cupcake.
Tips, Tricks and Variations
- Creative Toppings: While the classic hamburger cupcake features vanilla buns, chocolate patty, ketchup frosting, and dyed shredded coconut lettuce, don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings! Consider adding gummy candy ‘tomatoes’ or ‘pickles,’ drizzling caramel sauce as ‘mustard,’ or using colored icing to create unique and personalized designs.
- Textural Delights: Besides shredded coconut, you can explore other textural elements to enhance your cupcakes. Crushed cookies can mimic a crunchy ‘bun’ texture, while chopped nuts can add a delightful crunch to the patty. Get creative and add ingredients that will surprise and delight your taste buds.
- Mini or Jumbo: Hamburger cupcakes can be made in various sizes, allowing you to customize them for different occasions. Make bite-sized mini versions for parties or gatherings, or go all out and create jumbo-sized hamburger cupcakes for a jaw-dropping dessert centerpiece.
- Get the Family Involved: Making hamburger cupcakes is a fun activity that the whole family can enjoy. Get everyone involved in the decorating process, letting each person contribute their own creative ideas. It’s a great way to bond and create lasting memories.
- Presentation is Key: Serve your hamburger cupcakes on a platter lined with checkered paper or arrange them in a creative display to enhance the burger theme. Add tiny toothpick flags labeled “Hamburger Cupcakes” to complete the look and make them even more appealing.
Other Fun Summer Desserts
- Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs
- Campfire Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Watermelon Fudge
- Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- Combine the sweetened coconut and 2 – 3 drops of leaf green food coloring into the ziplock bag and shake until fully combined.
- Using two small bowls, scoop about ¾ c vanilla frosting into each bowl and mix in a few drops of red food coloring into one bowl and a few drops of yellow food coloring into the second bowl.
- Scoop the red colored frosting into 1 piping bag and the yellow colored frosting into the second piping bag. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the 13×9 baking sheet with parchment paper and line the cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Follow the back of the yellow cake mix box to make the batter, set aside while you make the brownie batter
- Follow the back of the brownie box to make the brownie batter
- Fill the cupcake liners, ¾ way full and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the cupcake batter Pour and spread evenly the brownie batter onto the baking sheet
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the brownie batter.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 21 minutes.
- Bake the brownies at 350 degrees for 21-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with little crumbs. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the cupcake from the pan and remove the liners, cut the cupcakes in half so that you have a cupcake bottom and cupcake top.
- Cut the brownies into 4in thick slices that way it's easier cut out the brownies Using the cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds and set aside.
- Using the yellow frosting, cut the tip and pipe a squiggle layer of “mustard” frosting on the top of the cupcake bottom.
- Carefully place a brownie round on top of the yellow frosting.
- Using the red frosting, pipe a squiggle layer of frosting for “ketchup”.
- Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of green colored “lettuce” coconut of top of the “ketchup” Place the top of the cupcake on top of the “lettuce”.