You’ll want to keep this Homemade Pancake Mix in your cupboard so you can whip up the best pancakes from scratch anytime you want. Made with just 4 ingredients, all of them pantry staples!
Table of Contents
- The Best Homemade Pancake Mix
- Why You’ll Love This Pancake Mix From Scratch
- What You’ll Need
- Mix-In Ideas
- How to Make Homemade Pancake Mix
- How To Make Pancakes From Scratch
- Tips For The Best Homemade Pancake Mix
- Serving Suggestions
- How to Store Homemade Pancake Mix
- How To Store Leftover Pancakes
- More Easy Pancake Recipes
- Get the Recipe
The Best Homemade Pancake Mix
But sometimes, you just need a simple, classic pancake. Or rather, a big stack of pancakes topped with butter and syrup, just like you’d get in a restaurant.
That’s where this homemade pancake mix comes in. You need just 4 ingredients and you’ll have a pancake mix that beats anything you can buy in a box at the store. Add some milk and an egg to the dry ingredients and you can whip up the best pancakes from scratch in just a few minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Pancake Mix From Scratch
Here are a few reasons to love making this pancake mix.
- Just 4 ingredients. This homemade pancake mix is made with just 4 ingredients. I bet you already have them all in the cupboard right now too. And to make pancakes, you’ll just need a few more.
- Perfect for a large batch of pancakes. This recipe makes enough mix to make approximately 24 pancakes – and can easily be doubled or tripled.
- Stores well. When properly stored in a container, this pancake mix will last for up to 2 months so you can easily whip up some pancakes from scratch anytime you want.
What You’ll Need
Both the pancake mix and the homemade pancakes require just a few ingredients. See the recipe card below for measurements.
For the Pancake Mix:
- All purpose flour – The base of your homemade pancake mix.
- Baking powder – Baking powder ensures that the pancakes fluff up when you cook them.
- Sugar – Adds a light sweetness to the pancakes.
- Salt – Adds more flavor and balances the sugar.
For the Pancakes:
- Pancake mix – As prepared above.
- Whole milk – Whole milk makes richer pancakes but 2% works fine too.
- Butter – I use unsalted butter, since the pancake mix contains salt.
Of course, you can easily take this basic pancake recipe and customize it with your favorite mix-in and seasonings. Here are a few ideas:
- Chocolate chips
- Blueberries or other berries
- Peanut butter
- Pumpkin spice mix
How to Make Homemade Pancake Mix
This homemade pancake mix recipe comes together in just seconds.
- Combine the ingredients. Stir all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Store. Transfer to a sealed container and store.
How To Make Pancakes From Scratch
Once you have the mix prepared, you can make homemade pancakes from scratch in just a few minutes.
- Combine the ingredients. Sift the pancake mix into a bowl then whisk with the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Cook the pancakes. Preheat the griddle to medium and spread the butter around the pan. Pour 1/3 cup of the pancake batter for each pancake. Cook for about 3 minutes on one side until it starts to bubble, then flip and cook until ready. Repeat.
- Enjoy. Top with butter and maple syrup and enjoy!
Tips For The Best Homemade Pancake Mix
Here are a few tips and variations for this homemade pancake mix recipe.
- Omit the salt. If you typically cook with salted butter, you can omit the salt in the pancake mix.
- Substitutions: Feel free to replace the milk with almond milk, oat milk or buttermilk.
- Do I have to sift the mix? You can skip the sifting if you like, but I think the pancakes turn out much better with the sift. It ensures there’s no lumps in the mix and creates a lighter texture.
- How do I know when pancakes are ready to flip? Before flipping the pancake, try lifting it from the side. It should release easily without being floppy or sticking. If it sticks, allow it to cook for a few more seconds. If you force it, it will rip.
I like to serve my pancakes with a protein side, whether that’s an egg or some breakfast sausage or bacon.
How to Store Homemade Pancake Mix
- Pantry. Store your homemade pancake mix in a sealed container in a cool, dry area. It will keep for at least 2 months when properly stored.
- Can I freeze or refrigerate the pancake mix? I do not suggest storing this in the fridge or the freezer with sugar in it. If you would like to store it in the fridge or freezer as just the mix, I would forgo the sugar and add it when making your pancakes.
How To Store Leftover Pancakes
- Fridge. Leftover pancakes can be stored in the fridge for about 2 days, covered tightly with plastic.
- Freezer. You can also freeze homemade pancakes. Allow them to cool completely and wrap stacks in plastic then foil.
- Reheat. You can reheat pancakes in the microwave or by popping them in the toaster.
More Easy Pancake Recipes
Homemade Pancake Mix
For the Pancake Mix:
For the Pancakes:
- 1 2/3 Cup Pancake Mix
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large Egg
For the Pancake Mix
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Store in a sealed container or jar for up to 2 months.
For the Pancakes
- Sift the pancake mix into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat and spread a bit of butter around the pan.
- Pour about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake.
- Let cook until the pancake easily lifts from the pan without being too floppy or sticking. This will take about 3 minutes, depending on your stove. Repeat for the other side and remove from the pan. Repeat with the rest of your batter.
- Top with a pat of butter and syrup, if desired, and enjoy!