Instant Pot Stew
This is the best and easiest Instant Pot Stew you can ask for. It is simple to make, filling and everyone will love it. This stew is great when you need a classic comfort meal, but you don’t have time to let it cook all day. Ready in under an hour, start to finish, this is a must try recipe.
If you like having bread with your stew, you can make this Garlic Butter Spread for the most amazing garlic bread.
Instant Pot Stew
Beef stew is best when it is cooked long and slow like in a slow cooker or on the stove top simmering all day. While this makes an amazing stew, sometimes, you simply do not have that kind of time. When you make this Instant Pot Beef Stew, you get all the same flavors and tenderness in about an hour. You will also like this other version of instant pot beef stew recipe.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Beef stew meat
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic cloves
- Tomato paste
- Red wine vinegar
- Yukon potatoes
- Sweet potato
- Worcestershire sauce
- Bay leaf
- Beef broth
- Fresh parsley
How to Make an Instant Pot Beef Stew
Prepare the vegetables. Cut the onion into large chunks and mince the garlic cloves. Peel the potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots and cut them into pieces about 1 inch. Chop the celery and parsley.
Next, make the slurry. Add the flour and cold water to a bowl and mix it well.
To make the beef stew, add flour, salt, pepper, onion powder and 1/2 Italian seasoning in a large baggie.
Shake to combine. Add the meat and shake again to coat the meat.
Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add oil to the pot.
Brown the meat making sure to brown all of the sides.
You might need to cook in batches to ensure the meat is browned evenly.
Transfer meat to a plate and add onions and garlic to the pot.
Set the Instant Pot to saute for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly add the vinegar and tomato paste. This should deglaze the pot.
Add the beef, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery in the pot. Stir to combine everything together.
Next, add in the Worcestershire sauce, the rest of the Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and beef broth.
Stir everything together.
If the beef broth/ Worcestershire sauce doesn’t cover the ingredients add water as needed.
Cover and seal the lid. Set it to High Pressure on Manual mode for 20 minutes.
Allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for at least 15 minutes.
Taste test, then add more seasoning as needed.
Remove the bay leaf and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
What is the Best Cut of Beef for Stew?
When you are buying beef for stew, sometimes it is cheaper to buy the meat whole instead of precut beef stew cubes. When you are looking for the best cut of meat you want a cut like beef chuck. This is a cheap cut of meat that needs to be cooked long and slow or in this case in the pressure cooker. It is inexpensive and because it has a higher fat content, it has an amazing flavor. The beef will break down and become extremely tender.
What Vegetables go in this Easy Stew Recipe?
What is great about beef stew is that you can use whatever vegetables that you like. For me, I love putting white potatoes and sweet potatoes, celery, and carrots. You can also toss in green beans and corn, or whatever other vegetables you have on hand.
Other Instant Pot Dinner Recipes You Will Love:
Instant Pot Stew
- Zip-loc bag
- Instant Pot
- Large plate
- Instant pot pan
- 2 lbs. Beef stew meat
- 1-2 TSP Sea salt
- 1/2 TSP Black pepper
- 1/2 TSP Onion powder
- 2 1/2 TSP Italian seasoning divided
- 1/3 C Flour
- 1 TBSP Vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 6 TBSP Tomato paste
- 2 TBSP Red wine vinegar
- 4 medium Yukon potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 Ribs of celery
- 1-2 TSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4-5 C Beef broth
- 1-2 TBSP Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP Cornstarch
- 3 TBSP Cool water
- Cut the onion into large chunks
- Mince garlic cloves
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- Peel and chop sweet potato into 1 inch chunks
- Peel and cut the carrot into thick slices
- Chop celery
- Chop parsley
- Add flour and cool water together in a bowl. Mix well.
Beef Stew Directions:
- Add flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning in a large zip-loc bag.
- Shake to combine.
- Add meat.
- Shake to coat the meat.
- Continue to until the meat is well coated.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute.
- Add oil to the pot.
- Brown the meat making sure to brown the sides.
- Cook in batches to evenly cook the meat.
- Transfer meat to a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic to the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the vinegar and tomato paste heating for about 1 minute. (This should be hot enough to deglaze the pot.)
- Leave the bits and small pieces in the the Instant Pot.
- Add the beef, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery in the pot. Stir to incorporate of the ingredients.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce, the rest of the Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and beef broth.
- Stir to incorporate throughout the pot. If the beef broth/ worcestershire sauce doesn't cover the ingredients add water as needed.
- Cover and seal the lid.
- Set on High Pressure on Manual mode for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for at least 15 minutes.
- Taste test, then add seasoning as needed.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.