If you are a lover of bread and all types of it, then I have a new recipe for you that may just become a favorite. This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is not only delicious in texture, but in flavor as well. If you love this type of bread recipe, this lemon poppyseed bread is a must.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is so good! It is very similar to Cranberry Orange Bread but in a lemon flavor. This recipe tastes so fresh with the zested and juiced lemon flavor. The flavor adds such a twist as it is sweet and tangy. The texture is so moist and fluffy as well. This recipe will have you fall in love because it tastes as if it is fresh out of a bakery.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking powder- This will allow your bread to rise in the oven.
- Baking Soda- This will allow the doubling of your ingredients.
- Lemon zest- Be sure to zest your lemons before juicing.
- Salt– This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Butter– Be sure to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Sugar- Every great recipe uses sugar for dessert.
- Eggs- Use eggs that are at room temperature.
- Lemon Extract– Use pure extract for the best flavoring.
- Lemon Juice– Use freshly squeezed juice for the best results.
- Buttermilk– Use milk with a bit of vinegar as a substitute.
- Poppy seeds- These will be added in for flavor and texture.
- Powdered sugar– This sugar is perfect for homemade frosting.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2% milk.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Set your oven to 350 degrees and use pam to grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the butter and sugar into a larger bowl and use a hand mixer to beat until combined and fluffy.
One at a time, add in your eggs and beat.
Pour in the lemon juice and extract and combine again.
Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients.
Use a spatula to fold in the poppy seeds.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tester or knife placed in the center comes out clean.
Take out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
Add all the icing ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
Pour over the finished bread and let sit until the icing is hardened.
Serve and Enjoy!
Is This a Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf?
This Lemon Poppyseed Bread is very similar to the Starbucks loaf, but it is not the same. They are similar in some aspects, but the ingredients are different. You would use vanilla extract, sour cream, and fewer ingredients in the Starbucks loaf compared to this one.
Does This Cake Need a Glaze or Frosting?
This poppy seed bread actually has icing for it. This icing can be added for the perfect blend of flavoring or you can choose not to use it. It is made with a few simple ingredients and tastes delicious.
More Lemon Recipes
- Baked Lemon Donuts
- Lemon Snowball Cookies
- Magic Lemon Cobbler
- Lemon Cranberry Muffins
- Lemon Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 large lemon zested
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 C sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ¼ C fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with pam baking spray
- Using a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, and salt
- Using a large bowl and hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until combined and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined
- Beat in the buttermilk until combined
- Beat in the lemon extract and lemon juice until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined
- Fold in the poppy seeds until combined
- Spoon batter into the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean
- Allow cooling for 15 minutes before moving onto a wire rack
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together all icing ingredients until combined and smooth
- Pour over the loaf and allow the icing to harden