Our easy-to-make Peppermint Hot Cocoa is the perfect way to warm up this winter! The sweet and creamy cocoa is flavored with peppermint for a minty twist and topped with whipped cream and crushed candy canes for a festive finishing touch. Wait until you see the fun decorative surprise.
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
When you are making this Candy Cane Cocoa, you are going to be surprised that it is not only tasty but it looks beautiful. Such a sweet treat to surprise your guests with a gorgeous hot drink. Serve this peppermint hot chocolate with cookies or cakes or even just by itself. It’s sure to be a new holiday favorite. Make sure you keep this recipe in your favorites!
Important Ingredients You Will Need:
- Chocolate Almond Bark– You want to use almond bark rather than chocolate chips. Chocolate chips will not harden the way you want.
- Mini Candy Canes- The mini candy canes are needed to create the heart.
- Sprinkle Mix- Use a pretty holiday sprinkle mix that will work to create a beautiful cup.
Can I make this with peppermint extract instead?
Yes, you can use peppermint extract for this recipe instead of candy canes. Although, using candy canes provides hot cocoa with a crunchy texture and fresh minty flavor.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Cocoa
Step 1- Chocolate Hearts.
Use the mini candy canes to form a heart and place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl in the microwave and mix. Use a spoon to fill the center of the candy cane hearts with chocolate and allow it to sit until it hardens. (make 6 hearts for each drink)
Step 1- Decorating the Mug.
Dip a 10-ounce white mug into the melted chocolate to coat the rip and roll the chocolate edge into the sprinkle mix. (see photo)
Step 2- Serving.
Put 2-3 chocolate candy cane hearts into the decorated mug and pour in heated milk and mix to melt. Top with your desired amount of whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed candy canes and another chocolate candy cane heart. Serve and enjoy!
Can I Make This Peppermint Hot Cocoa into Peppermint Mocha?
Yes, this recipe can be transformed into peppermint mocha. You can add the mocha directly into the hot chocolate with the chocolate candy can hearts. This will add a more chocolatey flavor.
More Hot Cocoa Recipes:
- St. Patrick’s Day Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Rum Chata Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Cookies and Cream Hot Cocoa
- Red Velvet Hot Cocoa
Candy Cane Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 1 package of Chocolate Almond Bark – melting chocolate
- 1 package of Mini Candy Canes
- 1 cup of Milk – per drink
- 1 bottle of Sprinkle Mix – See link
- 1 can of Redi-Whip Whipped Cream
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Line a large Cookie Sheet with Parchment paper, and place the Mini Candy Canes together with ends touching, in pairs – one will look like it’s turned backward, see photos.
- In a medium bowl, melt the Chocolate in the Microwave, and stir to blend.
- Fill the middle or centers of the Candy Cane pairs with the Melted Chocolate, and let sit until the chocolate sets, or hardens.
- Make about 6 Candy Cane Chocolates for each drink.
- Take a 10-ounce White Mug, and dip it into the melted chocolate, coating the edge of the top of the mug in the chocolate, and then roll the Chocolate edge in the Sprinkle Mix. (See photo)
- Place two or three of the Mini Candy Cane Chocolates in the mug, and heat Milk to just almost boiling.
- Pour hot Milk over the Mini Candy Cane Chocolates, and stir to melt.
- Top the mug with a generous amount of Whipped Cream, sprinkle with crushed Candy Canes, and add a Mini Candy Cane Chocolate to the top of the Mug. Serve, and Enjoy!