These Banana Pumpkin Muffins are the perfect combination of two classic muffins. Tender and moist, these healthy pumpkin muffins are filled with warm fall flavor and make an easy breakfast on the go.
Easy Pumpkin Banana Muffins
If you’re looking for the best healthy pumpkin muffins, look no further than these pumpkin banana muffins. Quick and easy to make, these muffins are much healthier than classic muffins and filled with nutrients thanks to the banana and pumpkin.
The muffin itself is moist and perfectly flavored with spices like nutmeg and cinnamon and an oat streusel topping adds a bit of crunch to the top, similar to my pumpkin streusel muffins.
These banana pumpkin muffins take less than an hour to prepare and store well, making them perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast all fall long. You can even freeze them so you always have one on hand.
Why You’ll Love These Healthy Pumpkin Banana Muffins
These pumpkin banana muffins have become a huge hit. Here’s why,
- Quick and easy. These banana pumpkin muffins take just 15 minutes or so of prep and use pantry staples so as long as you have pumpkin and banana on hand, you can easily whip them up anytime.
- Healthier than regular muffins. These healthy pumpkin muffins are a great way to sneak in extra nutrients, thanks to the bananas and pumpkin puree. They’re also lower in sugar than most traditional muffins.
- Super moist. The pumpkin puree and bananas also help to keep these muffins super moist, which is a nice contrast to the crunchy topping.
What You’ll Need
Banana pumpkin muffins are made with pantry staples, pumpkin puree, and bananas. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar – Brown sugar adds a richer flavor than white sugar.
- Baking soda- This will allow your muffins to rise.
- Spices – Cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg add the classic pumpkin spice flavor to these muffins.
- Eggs – Use room temperature eggs.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk makes the perfect tender muffin.
- Pumpkin – Be sure to use plain pumpkin, not pie filling. I like to use my homemade pumpkin puree.
- Mashed bananas – This is a great way to use up bananas browning on the counter! You can also ripen bananas quickly by placing them in a brown paper bag with an apple.
- Butter – Be sure to use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in a recipe.
- Vanilla extract – Always use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
- Rolled oats – Oats add a crunchy topping to these banana pumpkin muffins.
How to Make Pumpkin Banana Muffins
These healthy banana muffins are quick and easy to make with just a few minutes of prep.
- Make the muffin batter. Combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, bananas, pumpkin, butter, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.
- Make the streusel topping. Combine the oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a fork until crumbly.
- Bake. Fill the muffin liners 3/4 full, sprinkle with streusel topping, and bake for 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making the best healthy pumpkin muffins.
- Use ripe bananas. Be sure to use ripe or overripe for this recipe. The riper the banana, the easier it will be to mash and the sweeter it will be too. Bananas with brown spots are perfect for this recipe.
- Use real pumpkin – not pumpkin pie filling. Be sure to use pumpkin puree, whether store-bought or homemade, for this recipe. Pumpkin pie filling includes spices and other ingredients, which are not needed.
- Do not overmix the batter. When you combine the ingredients, stir just until the flour is fully combined. Overmixing the batter can lead to dry, dense muffins.
- Do not overbake the muffins. Overbaking the muffins will also lead to dry muffins. To ensure moist muffins, keep an eye on the bake time and double-check the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. As soon as it comes out clean, the muffins are ready.
- Counter. These banana pumpkin muffins can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 3 days or so.
- Fridge. You can also store these in the fridge to extend the shelf life a few extra days. They’ll last for about 5 days in the fridge.
Can I Freeze Banana Pumpkin Muffins?
Yes, you can also freeze these healthy pumpkin muffins. Allow them to cool completely then wrap individually in plastic wrap. Then place in an airtight container or ziploc bag and freeze.
Thaw on the counter or if you’re impatient like me, pop one in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy.
More Muffin Recipes
- Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Banana Crumb Muffins Recipe
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins Recipe
- Sweet Potato Anti-Inflammatory Muffins
- Banana Nut Monkey Muffins for Kids!
Banana Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 c all-purpose flour softened
- 1½ c light brown sugar packed down
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 lg eggs
- ⅓ c buttermilk
- 1 c pumpkin be sure to use plain pumpkin, not pie filling
- ⅔ c mashed bananas very ripe
- ¼ c butter softened
- 1¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c rolled oats
- ⅛ c brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 6-hole Texas Muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, bananas, pumpkin, butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Set aside while making topping.
- For streusel topping, combine oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full, sprinkle with streusel topping and bake on center rack of the oven for approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Texas muffin pan