When it comes to cookie bars, there is something special about Salted Caramel Bars. These sugar cookie bars are topped with salted caramel and pecans to make this amazing dessert something your family will love.
If you have a love affair with salted caramel, you will also love Rolo Stuffed Salted Caramel Cookies.
Salted Caramel Bars with Pecans
Salted caramel is a decadent dessert that everyone loves. It brings together that salty-sweet taste and it can take a simple dessert and simply take it over the top. With these caramel cookie bars, there is a sugar cookie base that is topped with caramel and pecans. You will see why this recipe rarely has leftovers.
What is the Best Way to Store Caramel Cookie Bars
Once these caramel cookie bars are cooled, you want to make sure you have them stored properly in order to keep them as fresh as possible. You want to store them in an airtight container. I prefer to use wax paper or parchment paper between the layers. This prevents the bars from sticking together and makes it easier to remove them. A freezer bag is another option if you prefer it rather than a container. You can also freeze these caramel cookie bars. If you choose to freeze the cookie bars, be sure to either freeze them on a plate first or add a layer of protection between each layer of bars, like wax paper or plastic.
Can Salted Caramel Bars Be Made with Walnuts Instead of Pecans
In many of our dessert recipes, I like to swap pecans and walnuts. The tastes and textures are similar. This is great if you have a preference for one rather than the other, one is on sale, or you have one in hand. Make sure to chop the nuts to a small size and you can easily swap walnuts for pecans.
How Long do Cookie Bars Last
When you make these cookie bars, as long as they are stored in an airtight container they will last up to 5 days at room temperature. If you decide to freeze them, they will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Ingredients in Salted Caramel Cookie Bars with Pecans
- Refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- Caramel sundae topping
- All purpose flour
- Kosher sea salt
How to Make Caramel Bars with Pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8*8 baking pan. Spray the pan with baking spray. Also, you can line it with foil or parchment paper to make it easier to remove the salted caramel bars from the pan.
Set half of the cookie dough aside and press the remaining cookie dough into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes until the cookie dough crust is golden brown.
While the crust is baking, prepare the caramel filling.
Combine the 1/2 cup of caramel topping together with the flour in a small bowl.
Once the crust is done baking, spread this caramel filling over the crust, stopping just before the edge.
Break apart the cookie dough you set aside and sprinkle it over the caramel filling.
Add the crushed pecans over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is light golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour.
Drizzle the remaining caramel topping over the top and sprinkle with sea salt.
Cut into bars and enjoy.
Salted Caramel Bars with Pecans
- 1 6.5 oz roll of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 cup caramel sundae topping
- 3 tbsp caramel sundae topping
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray. Optional: line the pan with foil or parchment paper for easy removal.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of the cookie dough and set aside.
- Take the remaining cookie dough and press it into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is lightly golden brown.
- While that is baking, prepare the caramel filling.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup caramel topping and the flour and mix until combined.
- When the crust is done baking, spread the caramel topping all over the top, stopping before the edge.
- Take the dough from the 1/2 cup that was set aside, break it up and sprinkle it all over the top of the caramel filling.
- Sprinkle the crushed pecans all over the top.
- Bake again for 30 minutes, until the top is light golden brown.
- Cool for at least an hour.
- Drizzle the remaining 3 tbsp of caramel topping all over the top, sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Cut into bars and serve!
- Store in an airtight container.