These Salted Caramel Truffles are a combination of melted caramel and chocolate rolled and dipped into dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt.
Chocolate Caramel Truffles
These truffles are an ooey gooey treat that will just melt in your mouth. These are so simple to make and they come out with the most addicting flavor. The truffles are very much rich and sweet and when topped with sea salt, it just brings out the flavor even more!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Caramels: You will need about 26 caramels to heat with chocolate melts. You will add heavy cream or whipping cream to help with the consistency.
Dark Chocolate Chips: You will combine the chocolate chips with vegetable shortening to make it smooth enough for dipping.
Sea Salt: I love adding this on top of the truffles to bring out the flavor.
How To Make Salted Caramel Truffles
Step 1. Add the caramels, chocolate melts, and heavy cream into a double broiler over medium heat. Line an 8×8-inch pan or glass dish with tinfoil and pour the caramel mixture in. Allow the mixture to firm in the fridge for about 1 hour. Take out of the pan and slice into 30 equal squares. Roll each piece into a ball using your hands and arrange it onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Allow the balls to chill in the freezer for 1 hour.
Step 2. Add the chocolate chips and shortening into a small mixing bowl and melt in the microwave in 20-second increments at 50% power. Mix the chocolate between each increment. Take the balls out of the freezer and dip them into the melted chocolate and tap to remove the excess. Top with sea salt right away. Serve and enjoy!
Variations For Salted Caramel Truffles:
There are a few ways you can alter this recipe to your liking and you can look below to find some great options:
- Use dark chocolate melts instead of milk chocolate or use milk chocolate chips for the coating if you don’t like dark chocolate.
- You can try this recipe with white chocolate too!
- Make the truffles have a bit of a crunch by adding rice Krispies or crushed nuts to the chocolate coating.
- Top with sprinkles, nuts, caramel sauce, nonpareils, etc to decorate.
Tips & Tricks
I prefer using wax paper rather than parchment paper for easy removal.
You can heat the caramel, chocolate melts, and cream mixture into the microwave, but it will take more time to melt. If you use this instead of on the stove, just follow the same steps you would use to melt the chocolate chips/shortening.
More Truffle Recipes:
Salted Caramel Truffles
- In your double broiler on medium heat, melt the caramels and chocolate melts with the heavy cream.
- Pour the caramel mixture into an 8×8 glass or metal pan that has been lined with tinfoil.
- Pop the caramel mixture into the fridge for one hour to firm up.
- Remove the caramel from the pan and cut it into 30 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece into a ball and place it on a cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper.
- Put caramel balls into the freezer for one hour.
- In a small mixing bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the vegetable shortening in the microwave slowly. It is recommended to use 50% power with 20-second intervals, stirring in between each interval.
- Dip the frozen caramel balls into the chocolate and tap the side of the bowl lightly to remove any excess chocolate.
- Immediately sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- double broiler
- candy dipper or fork
- 8×8 pan or glass dish
- Wax paper
- Mixing bowl small
- cookie sheet size doesn’t matter