This is by far The Best Toffee Recipe that you’ll ever come across, and for good reason! The milk chocolate and salty-sweet rich toffee are a match made in heaven. It’s a super easy recipe that makes a great holiday snack or gift.
Easy Toffee Candy Recipe
Making homemade toffee is not as hard as it sounds. I love trying new recipes for treats and sweets, and this one is so much fun to make – and even more fun to eat! It’s layers of sticky and salty, while the chocolate adds a decadent sweetness. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
This easy toffee recipe makes the perfect holiday party favors. They store well, so you can package them up and add festive ribbons for a thoughtful gift. I strongly believe that homemade gifts are some of the best you can receive, and it’s a bonus if you can also eat them.
What You’ll Need for this English Toffee Recipe
All you need is 6 simple, easy to find ingredients to make the best homemade English toffee you’ll ever have!
- Chopped Pecans: This will be the base layer for the toffee.
- Unsalted Butter: You can use butter straight from the refrigerator because it is going to be melted in a saucepan.
- Sugar: You’ll need granulated white sugar.
- Salt: The perfect compliment to the sweet flavor of this treat.
- Vanilla Extract: Use pure vanilla extract for best results.
- Chocolate Chips: I use milk chocolate chips in this recipe.
How to Make Homemade Toffee
It’s easier than ever to make a delicious English toffee at home! Once the toffee is made on the stovetop, there is no more cooking or baking involved. Super simple and quick!
- Step 1. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper or a silicone mat and cover the bottom evenly with the chopped pecans. Set it aside.
- Step 2. Melt the butter, sugar, and salt mixture together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan on the stovetop.
- Step 3. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Stir often with a wooden spoon until the toffee reaches the hard-crack stage, around 290-300 degrees F on a candy thermometer. It will be a caramel color.
- Step 4. Remove the pot from the heat and add 1/2 tsp vanilla. Pour over chopped pecans while still hot. Spread it evenly and allow it to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the toffee and cover the pan with aluminum foil. Allow it to sit for about 5 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Step 6. Spread the chocolate evenly with an offset spatula.
- Step 7. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut and serve!
Tips For The Best Toffee
- Feel free to use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips if you wish.
- Spread the toffee immediately after pulling it from the stove. It sets very quickly.
- Use your favorite nuts in place of the pecans. I highly recommend chopped almonds or walnuts as the best substitutes.
- To add a garnish of nuts on top, sprinkle them on top of the melted chocolate before it sets. Gently push them in so they stick.
- Store the toffee in a cool or room temperature place in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Humidity will cause the toffee to become sticky and melt the chocolate. Do not store it in the refrigerator because it will become hard if it’s in there too long.
More Candy Recipes
- Homemade Payday Candy Bars
- Cinnamon Hard Candy
- Old Fashioned Divinity Candy
- Homemade Caramels
- White Chocolate Bark
- Homemade Snickers Bars
Best Toffee Recipe
- Line a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper. Evenly distribute chopped pecans in the baking pan.
- In a medium, heavy bottomed pot melt butter, sugar and salt together. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and boil stirring until toffee reaches 290-300F; hard-crack stage. Color of the toffee will be a caramel color when ready.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Immediately pour over chopped pecans and spread evenly in the pan. Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with chocolate chips and cover with a piece of foil or a sheet pan for 5 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula or back of a spoon, spread melted chocolate over toffee.
- Cool in the fridge for 2 hours. Cut with a sharp knife into pieces and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Move quickly when pouring and spreading toffee. It starts to set quickly.
- Pecans can be substituted with your favorite nuts.
- If you want a garnish of nuts on top, add after spreading the melted chocolate so it sticks.
- Store in a covered container in a cool place. Humidity will make toffee sticky and chocolate melty. Good on the counter for 2 weeks if cool.