Cinnamon Valentine Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
This Valentine Cake with cinnamon flavor and homemade vanilla frosting is the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert. Top it with sprinkles and red rock candy for a festive look.
This recipe uses a regular white boxed cake mix but adds in some cinnamon extract for a fun flavor. If you are a fan of Red Hot candy this has a really similar taste.
- White Cake Mix
- Cinnamon Extract
How To Make A Valentine Cake
Making this cake really could not be any easier unless you just bought it from a bakery. All you do is mix the all the ingredients together and pour into three round cake pans. Bake the cakes for about half an hour and then set them out to cool.
Next up is to make your homemade frosting. It is just as simple as the cake recipe, but if you’re short on time you can always grab some pre-made icing from the store.
To make the icing, just mix up all the ingredients until stiff peaks form. Take a bit out and add more pink food coloring to make a darker color.
How To Decorate a Cake for Valentine’s Day
Layer each cake with a cup of pink frosting in between each. Then, use the rest of the frosting to coat the top and sides of the cake. Press sprinkles around the bottom edge.
Pipe darker pink drips around the top and then thicker light pink dollops around the top.
For decoration, add a few red rock candy pieces, red heart marshmallows and chocolate hearts.
This cake, while it looks very pretty and slightly difficult, is actually much easier than you’d think. You can do it!
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 8 large Egg whites
- 2 ½ C water
- 1 C canola oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon extract
- 3 - 9 inch round cake pans
- 1 - 10 inch round cake board
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel food coloring
- 1 disposable piping bag
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- Valentine's Day Sprinkles
- 3 Red Rock Candy Sticks
- 2 Red Heart Marshmallow sticks
- Red foiled chocolate hearts
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a hand mixer and large bowl, beat all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Pour batter evenly into the three pans
- Place into the oven and back for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except for the color until combined and smooth but stiff with peaks
- Beat in a few drops of pink coloring until combined
- Scoop 1 C of the pink frosting into another bowl and mix in a few more drops of pink to make it darker
Building the Cake directions
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer
- Repeat step with other two layers
- Scoop 1 C of pink frosting onto the bottom layer and spread evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top and spread evenly 1 more cup of frosting
- Place the last layer of cake on top and frost with remaining pink frosting
- Using some valentine's day sprinkles, coat the bottom part of the cake with sprinkles
- Place the darker pink frosting into the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it
- Scoop it into the piping bag
- Cut the tip off the piping bag and pipe drips around the top edge
- Scoop the lighter pink frosting into the large piping bag
- Pipe dollops around the top and sprinkle some more Valentine’s Day sprinkles on top