Churro Cupcakes are delicious made from scratch cupcakes that is absolutely amazing. These cupcakes bring together the flavors of a cinnamon cupcake with cinnamon sugar on top. These cupcakes are perfect for a party or picnic.
Churro Cupcakes Recipe
Churros are delicious. It is a crunchy treat that is fried and then coated in cinnamon sugar. When you make these churro cupcakes, you are bringing these amazing flavors into these moist cupcakes. You will also want to check out our Churros Recipe – it’s delicious!
- Sugar – You can’t make cupcakes without sugar.
- Unsalted butter- You should always use unsalted butter when baking. It lets you control the amount of salt in the cupcake.
- Eggs- It is best to use room temperature eggs.
- Baking powder- If you are using self rising flour, you do not need baking powder.
- Baking soda– Baking soda helps to make the cupcakes rise.
- Flour-It is best to use all purpose flour.
- Ground cinnamon- The cinnamon gives the churros a great flavor and that brings this flavor into the cupcakes.
- Salt- Salt brings out the flavor in the cupcakes.
- Heavy cream- Heavy whipping cream add a richness to these cupcakes that is amazing. Heavy cream is also used in the frosting to make it the right consistency.
- Sour cream- Sour cream adds acidity to the cupcake which keeps it moist and helps it to rise.
- Fresh or frozen churros- These are for the top of the cupcakes.
- Powder sugar- Powdered sugar is the best sugar for frosting.
- Vanilla- It is always best to use pure vanilla for the best taste possible.
- Salted caramel sauce- This goes across the top to add another level of flavor.
- Churros for Decoration- While you can buy churros, I recommend making your own. Find out How to Make Churros.
How to Make Churro Cupcakes
Using a mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until it is creamy.
Add the egg and mix it into the sugar mixture, then beat in the vanilla, salt baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners
Add the heavy cream into the batter.
Then add in a little bit of flour at a time.
Once the flour is combined in the batter, add the sour cream.
Pour the batter into a cupcake pan with liners, filling it 3/4 of the way full.
Bake the cupcakes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22 minutes.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting by combining all of the ingredients until it forms soft peaks.
Then scoop the frosting into a piping bag.
Next, melt 1 cup of butter and in another bowl mix 2 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the melted butter and then dip it into the cinnamon sugar.
Frost the cupcakes with the cinnamon frosting and then drizzle caramel sauce and top with a churro
Can These Be Made Into Vegan Churro Cupcakes?
There are several things that have to change to make these into vegan churro cupcakes. You will need to use non dairy butter as well as nondairy sour cream, replace the heavy cream with coconut cream.
Where Can I Buy Churros to Put On My Cupcakes?
I like making my own churros. The recipe is incredibly simple. If you do not want to buy them, churros are available online and in the grocery store. If you are buying them in the grocery store the churros are available in the freezer section and on the store shelves.
More Cupcake Recipes
- Easy Snickers Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Andes Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- Banana Cream Cupcakes
Churro Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 Cup flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
Toppings for cupcakes
- 1 Cup melted butter
- 2 Cup sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Fresh or frozen churros
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 5 cups powder sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 bottle salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners
- In a standing mixer beat sugar and butter until creamed
- Add egg and mix until fully incorporated
- Beat in vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Combine the heavy cream into the wet mixture
- Add in flour, a little at a time.
- Add in the sour cream
- Spoon batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for about 22 minutes or until the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Combine all ingredients into a standing mixer and mix on low speed
- until combined and stiff peaks form
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag
- Melt 1 Cup of butter into a microwave safe bowl
- Mix in 2 Cup of sugar and the 2 tbsp ground cinnamon into another bowl
- Dip the top of the cupcakes into the melted butter and then dip it into the cinnamon sugar mix
- Frost the cupcakes with the cinnamon frosting
- Drizzle caramel sauce and top with a churro