Need a cake for the ultimate Cookie Monster lover? Wait until you try this Cookie Monster Cake. Not only is it absolutely delicious, it is also so easy to make. Your guests are going to be blown away by this decadent chocolate cake.
Cookie Monster Cake
When you are making this cake, you are combining a delicious cake with edible cookie dough as the inside filling of the cake. Combined with homemade frosting, chocolate ganache and cookies, this is a cookie monster lovers dream.
- Triple chocolate cake mix- Cake mix helps to save time when making this recipe.
- Whole milk- 2% milk can also be used.
- Unsalted butter- It is best to use unsalted butter to control the salt in the recipe
- Eggs- Use room temperature eggs
- Powdered sugar- Powdered sugar adds a different texture than traditional sugar.
- Oreo cookies- Oreo cookies are used in several places in this recipe. You will need fill size and minis.
- Pure vanilla extract- Pure extract provides a better flavor than imitation.
- Heavy whipping cream- Whipping cream is used in frosting and in the ganache.
- Sky blue gel food coloring- You need the blue color to make this cake look like Cookie Monster.
- Mini chocolate chip cookies- Cookie Monster needs his cookies.
- Light brown sugar- Brown sugar gives a richer flavor.
- Flour- Use all purpose flour.
- Kosher salt- Salt brings out the flavor in baked goods.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips- Milk chocolate can also be used.
How do You Make a Cookie Monster Cake?
Beat together the cake ingredients until it is fully mixed.
While the cakes are cooling, make the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Make the Blue Oreo Frosting
Beat together the frosting ingredients until it forms stiff peaks.
Assemble the Cake
Place the cake layer onto the cake board and then scoop a cup of cookie dough onto the cake and then smooth it evenly. Repeat until all the layers are stacked.
Then place some of the Oreo frosting into a piping bag.
Frost the cake with the Oreo frosting.
Make the Ganache
Heat the whipping cream in a saucepan until it is steaming.
Place the chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl.
Pour the heated cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 1 minute.
Whisk it together until it is smooth and then place it in a squeeze bottle.
Decorating the Cake
Drip the ganache around the edges of the cake.
Place mini chocolate chip cookies along the bottom of the cake.
Pipe dollops of the blue frosting along the cake and then place an Oreo in between each dollop.
Place the cake in the refrigerator to let the cake harden up.
What Cookies Go In This Cake?
With this Cookie Monster Cake, you will be using crushed Oreos, mini Oreos and full sized Oreos as well as chocolate chip cookies. You are also making a chocolate chip cookie dough frosting to go between the layers.
Does This Cake Need To Be Refrigerated
Normally, this cake could be stored at room temperature but I prefer to keep the cookie dough frosting in the refrigerator, like I store my edible cookie dough. For that reason, I like to keep my cake refrigerated.
More Delicious Layer Cakes
- Chocolate Layer Twix Cake
- Layered Cherry Coke Cake
- Patriotic Layered Cake
- Layered Bloody Vampire Cake Recipe
- Layered Cannoli Cake Recipe
Cookie Monster Cake
- 2 boxes triple chocolate cake mix
- 2 1/2 C whole milk
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 large eggs
Blue Oreo frosting ingredients:
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 C crushed oreo cookies
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5-7 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 3-6 drops sky blue gel food coloring
- 1 package mini chocolate chip cookies
- 1 package mini oreo cookies
- 1 package regular size oreos
Chocolate chip frosting ingredients
- 1 C unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 C light brown sugar
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 C flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 1 C mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 C Heavy Whipping cream
Chocolate cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 3 9 inch round cake pans with
- pam baking spray, set aside
- Using a hand mixer and a large mixing bowl, beat all cake ingredients
- together until fully combined.
- Divide batter between the 3 baking pans and bake in the preheated oven
- for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center
- Allow to cool completely on the counter.
- Once cooled, remove cakes from cake pan and cut the domes off
- Using a cake slicer, slice off the tops of the domes
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting Directions
- In a standing mixer, cream the brown sugar, powdered sugar and
- softened butter until combined
- Beat in the vanilla extract
- Gradually beat in the flour until combined
- Slowly beat in the milk until the consistency is what you like
- Fold in the chocolate chips
Blue Oreo Frosting directions:
- Using a standing mixer, beat on low-medium speed the butter, powdered
- sugar, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until all combined, smooth and
- stiff with peaks
Build cake directions:
- Place the first cake layer onto the cake board
- Scoop 1 C of Cookie Dough frosting onto the cake layer and smooth evenly
- with the angled spatula
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting
- Scoop another cup of cookie dough frosting onto the top of the second cake layer
- and smooth evenly
- Place the last cake layer on top
- Scoop 1 C of the oreo frosting into a large piping bag
- Scoop the Blue Oreo Frosting frosting onto the top of the cake and
- frost entire cake
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- Using a small pot, pour the heavy whipping cream into it
- and place on medium heat
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium heat safe bowl
- Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and
- pour onto the chocolate chips
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle
- Using the squeeze bottle and add chocolate ganache drips around the
- edge of the cake
- Using the mini chocolate chip cookies, place them around the bottom of the cake
- Using the blue oreo frosting in the piping bag, pipe dollops along the top of
- the cake, make sure to leave a space between the dollops
- Place a regular size oreo in between each frosting dollop
- Place into the fridge for 1 hour to allow the frosting to harden
- slightly for easier cutting!