I am obsessed with this Crockpot Cashew Chicken! This tender and nutty dish is made with a sweet and savory sauce of red bell pepper and cashews. Skip the Chinese take out and make this favorite right at home in your slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
This is a dish that will have you wanting to skip takeout! Instead of paying a bunch of money for some possibly good food. You can make this amazing recipe right at home! The chicken is so delicious and juicy with a thick glaze of sauce on top laid over a bed of rice.
Don’t have a slow cooker? You’ll also love our Stove Top Cashew Chicken Recipe.
Watch The Recipe Video!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
For the Chicken:
- Chicken Tenderloins: I cut these into bite-sized pieces. You can also use other cuts of chicken like breasts, thighs, etc.
- Cornstarch: This will be used to coat the chicken to make it crispy.
- Vegetable Oil: You can use any frying oil, like canola, peanut, or sunflower oil.
- Vegetables: You will need red bell pepper and scallions.
For the Sauce:
- Soy Sauce: I like to use lite or low-sodium sauce.
- Ketchup: This will add sweetness to the sauce along with the brown sugar.
- Seasonings: You will need garlic, black pepper, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Cashews: These will add a nutty flavor and can be added on top for a crunchier texture.
How To Make Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- Coat the chicken. Use the cornstarch to coat each piece of chicken. In a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the pan to brown. You aren’t cooking in through, you just want some color.
- Prepare the sauce. In the slow cooker, add the browned chicken and chopped red bell pepper. Add the soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds into a mixing bowl and combine.
- Cook your ingredients. Add the sauce into the slow cooker and over the chicken. Put in the cashews and combine until fully incorporated. Place the lid on top and cook for 3-4 hours on low. Top with scallions and sesame seeds and serve on a bed of rice. Enjoy!
What To Serve with Crockpot Cashew Chicken?
I love serving this dish over a bed of rice to make it more filling and hearty. You can also use other side dishes to go along with this recipe. I prefer a good vegetable side or a salad that will complement the dish. You can try a side of these tasty Fried Green Beans or a simple Healthy Broccoli Salad.
Tips & Tricks
- Place leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or place in the freezer for longer.
- If you want the cashews to be crunchier, you can wait and add them when you are ready to serve.
- For a spicy kick, you can add some red pepper flakes or a little siracha.
- Instead of tenderloins, you can use chicken thighs.
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Crockpot Crack Chicken with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup soy sauce lite or low sodium
- ½ cup ketchup
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 scallions sliced
- Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch. Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker. Add the chopped red bell pepper. In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Add the cashews and stir everything to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve over rice.