Death By Chocolate Trifle is a layered dessert with layers of chocolate cake, pudding, fudge, Oreos, and whipped cream topped with Heath candy bars. Always such a huge hit for parties or gatherings.
Rich & Chocolatey Trifle
This trifle recipe is so delicious and melts in your mouth. Just a few simple steps and a hand full of ingredients will have this recipe made in just minutes. This is an excellent recipe if you need a dessert that can feed a crowd.
What is a Trifle?
A tradition trifle was originated in England back in the 18th century layering sponge cake (usually soaked in liquor), custard and fruit. Throughout the years, there have been a ton of versions of trifles that have been created.
I would say that Chocolate Trifle is one of the most popular. Everyone tends to love chocolate when preparing for a gathering and this trifle is a chocolate lovers dream! Trifles are so easy to make and perfect for parties. Everyone is always so impressed with the presentation and it takes little time and effort to prepare.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Cake Mix: You will need a chocolate cake mix for this recipe. This can be homemade or store-bought or use your favorite kind.
Chocolate Pudding: Use chocolate instant pudding mix with milk according to the directions on the box if you are in a hurry. If not, make it extra delicious by making our Homemade Chocolate Pudding.
Layered Ingredients: To make the dessert more filling and delicious, I like to use a layer of hot fudge sauce, Oreo cookies, and whipped cream.
How To Make Death By Chocolate Trifle
Step 1. Make the cake mix by following the directions on the box. Allow the cake to cool before crumbling and setting aside. Follow the pudding instructions to prepare. Crush the candy bars into small chunks and set them aside.
Step 2. Set out 4 to the 5-quart trifle bowls. Begin layer in the following order: Add 1/2 the crumbles of cake, 1/2 of the hot fudge, 1/2 the instant pudding, 1/2 the crushed Oreos, and 1/2 the cool whip. Continue until you use all of the prepared ingredients.
Step 3. Place the trifle in the fridge for about 1 to 2 hours before enjoying. I like to keep it in the fridge overnight for the best results. When ready, uncover and cut the health candy into chunks and sprinkle it on top.
Can This Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yep! We prefer to make this chocolate trifle several hours ahead of time (or up to 2 days). That’s a huge bonus of making this for an upcoming gathering to save time. You can also make the chocolate pudding and chocolate cake for a few days ahead of time and store them in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
How To Store Chocolate Trifle?
Place the trifle into an airtight container for the best storage method. You can store this recipe in the fridge for up to 2 days. If it lasts any longer the layers will begin to blend together.
- Replace the chocolate cake with crumbled Brownies.
- Drizzle booze over the cake while layering and use 1/2 cup Kahlúa or Baileys Irish Cream.
- Replace the fudge sauce with caramel sauce (or use both).
- We love the Heath bars in this recipe, but you can also replace with chocolate chips or any other chocolate bars.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Chocolate Trifle Tips:
- A regular glass bowl works if you don’t own a trifle bowl with pedestal. Trifle bowls do make a better presentation.
- Make individual parfaits for your guests. Just divide and layer between the mini trifle bowls making sure you show the beautiful layers.
More Trifle Recipes:
- Pineapple Trifle
- Strawberry Trifle (Quick and Easy)
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle Recipe
- Rainbow Cake Trifle Recipe
Death By Chocolate Trifle
- 16.5 ounce box chocolate cake mix plus box ingredients
- 2 boxes 3.9 ounces each instant chocolate pudding mix (plus milk according to box)
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- 1/2 cup Oreo cookies crushed
- 16 ounces Whipped Cream Cool Whip, thawed can also be used.
- 4-5 Heath candy bars chocolate
- Bake the boxed cake mix according to package directions. Let cool then crumble.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions.
- Crush the health bars into small chunks.
- In a 4 to 5-quart glass trifle bowl, layer in the following order: half of the cake crumbles, half of the fudge sauce, half of the pudding, half of the crushed Oreos, and half of the whipped cream.
- Repeat layers in the same order.Refrigerate trifle for 1-2 hours (or overnight) before serving. Uncover and top with chopped heath bars. Enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.