Are you a extreme chocolate lover? This Oreo Trifle recipe is a decadent chilled dessert that is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. Layered with fudgy brownies, rich chocolate pudding, Oreos, and creamy whipped topping, it is perfect to feed a crowd or be enjoyed on any occasion.
The Perfect Holiday Dessert
This chocolate brownie trifle with yummy Oreos will quickly become a family favorite treat. I love eating trifles during the spring and summer because I can make them ahead of time and enjoy them chilled at a BBQ or outside in the backyard on a warm, sunny day.
It is also an easy, no-fuss dessert to enjoy with your family during any holiday. You should try this Oreo trifle recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year! It’s quick to prepare, yummy, elegant, and can be made ahead anytime. I also love it for Easter. You can even decorate it to match the theme! I love to add crushed Robins eggs on top of the Oreos. It adds crunch, even more chocolate, and cute pastel colors that remind you of Easter!
Watch The Recipe Video!
What You’ll Need
Minimal everyday ingredients are used in this chocolate brownie trifle dessert making it cheap and easy to execute!
- Chocolate Brownie Mix: Use your favorite brand to bake brownies follow the directions on the package. Making our easy homemade brownies recipe will work as well.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix: Prepared according to package directions, so you will also need cold milk. You can also make our easy homemade chocolate pudding recipe.
- Whipped Cream: Use Cool Whip (make sure it has been thawed) or our easy Homemade whipped cream.
- Oreos: Crushed in a bag or a food processor.
- Chocolate Sauce – you can use chocolate syrup or hot fudge sauce to drizzle on top.
How to Make an Oreo Trifle
Once the brownies are baked and the pudding is made, it takes only a few minutes to layer this Oreo trifle. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill before you can eat it.
- Step 1. First, follow the directions on the brownies mix and bake them. They will need to be cooled completely before they are sliced and added to the trifle.
- Step 2. Make the chocolate pudding from the box direction using an electric mixer. Ensure that the milk is nice and cold so it can soft set.
- Step 3. Fold the separate 4 oz of whipped topping into the chocolate pudding.
- Step 4. Start assembling the trifle by layering half of the brownie cubes into the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Step 5. Add half of the chocolate pudding and spread evenly over the brownies. Then, sprinkle ⅓ of the crushed Oreo cookies on top.
- Step 6. Add half of the remaining whipped topping and spread evenly over the Oreos and pudding.
- Step 7. Repeat those layers (starting with the rest of the brownie cubes) and then finish with the last of the crushed Oreos and chocolate sauce.
- Step 8. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Depending on the size of your trifle dish, you may need more or less brownies, pudding, and whipped topping.
- The chocolate sauce is optional but adds more richness to the Oreo trifle.
- I like to use Betty Crocker but you can use any kind. To cut out even more steps, use store-bought brownies.
- Instead of using a large trifle dish, layer the ingredients into small, individual dishes for a party or easier serving.
- To store this trifle, cover it and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Add-Ins and Substitutions
- Use original Oreos or double stuffed, mint, peanut butter, or any flavor you enjoy!
- Substitute vanilla pudding for chocolate pudding for a different-tasting dessert.
- Try this with dark chocolate or caramel brownie mix.
- Add fresh strawberries for a chocolate-covered strawberry trifle.
More Trifle Recipes to Try
- Pineapple Trifle
- Strawberry Trifle
- Lemon Blueberry Trifle
- Death by Chocolate Trifle
- Rainbow Cake Trifle
- Bake the brownies according to package instructions for an 8×8 size pan, let cool completely and cut into small cubes. (about 50-55 pieces) Make the chocolate pudding mix according to package instructions.
- Gently fold in the 4 ounces of refrigerated whipped topping into the chocolate pudding mix using a rubber spatula and set aside.
- To assemble the trifle: Place half of the brownie cubes into the bottom of the trifle dish. Layer half of the chocolate pudding mixture onto the brownies and spread evenly. Sprinkle a ⅓ of the crushed oreos over the pudding, Next, add half of the remaining refrigerated whipped topping and spread evenly. Repeat layers one more time and top with the crushed oreos and chocolate sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Any brand or brownie mix can be used in this recipe.
The chocolate sauce can be left out if desired.
The trifle can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.