This Chocolate Pudding Recipe is a smooth, thick, and creamy recipe made with just a handful of ingredients. You will be surprised at how quick and easy this homemade chocolate pudding is to make.
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
This pudding is so delicious and just melts in your mouth with every bite. This easy-to-make recipe uses cocoa powder to make that rich and chocolatey flavor. This can be served by itself or used in other desserts of your choosing.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Cocoa Powder: It’s important to use a high quality cocoa powder because that is the primary flavor of the pudding.
Corn Starch: To get that thick consistency, corn starch works the best.
Milk: Whole milk works the best and is the standard for homemade pudding. If you prefer to use 2% or 1% milk instead, your pudding just won’t be as rich. Alternative milks should work fine as well like unsweetened almond, cashew, and coconut milks.
Pure Vanilla Extract. Vanilla adds important flavor to chocolate pudding. A good quality vanilla makes a huge difference.
How To Make Chocolate Pudding
Step 1. In a sauce pan, add corn starch, sugar, and cocoa powder and combine. Pour in the whole milk and combine once again until smooth.
Step 2. Over medium heat using a whisk, mix until the pudding begins to simmer and thicken. Take off the heat and add in the butter and vanilla. Combine the mixture until melted.
Step 3. Place the mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours until chilled and set. Top with fresh whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
How To Store?
Place the pudding in an airtight container for the best storage method. This recipe is best when stored in the fridge.
What To Do With Leftover Chocolate Pudding
- You can jazz it up a bit and make our delicious Chocolate Lasagna.
- Use it for a filling for Brownie Cups or Cookie Cups.
- Can be used for Pudding Shots (for Adults).
- Make a Chocolate Pudding Pie by simple adding the pudding into a pre-baked pie crust.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Pudding?
I don’t recommend freezing the pudding because the consistency will change. Homemade pudding mixtures can separate or end up with a grainy texture. The best part about this recipe other than the flavor is the smooth and creamy consistency so refrigerating works best.
More Pudding Recipes:
Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 1/3 cup Corn Starch
- 1 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Cocoa powder
- 4 1/2 cups Milk
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- pinch of salt
- homemade whipped cream optional
- In a sauce pan, add sugar, corn starch and cocoa powder. Add the milk and whisk to combine.
- Over medium heat, whisk until the mixture starts to boil and thicken up for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir until melted.
- Allow mixture to cool completely, stirring every ten minutes or so to avoid a top layer of skin.
- Set in the fridge for 1 hour to serve chilled.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Chocolate Pudding Recipe”
It sure sounds easy enough. Great ingredients and making it, will be hard not to dig in. It looks awesome and I will make this tomarrow.
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE EGG IS FOR? I DON’T SEE WHERE IT IS ADDED IN RECIPE AND DON’T REMEMBER EVERY NEEDING AN EGG IN PUDDING. THANKS FOR THE HELP.